Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
2-piece vs 3-piece AMG wheels

MRTIKKET probably got a boner reading this title... but I don't mind his input.

Anyways.. I was all set to purchase 17" AMG Aero monoblock I's for the 560, until I saw a nice set of 3-piece AMG wheels on a w126. It really is one of the best looking wheels I've seen on a w126... or any car for that matter.

However, after reading up and asking people oppinions on these wheels... I found that the 3-piece was prone to some serious cracks. There is a thread here on the forum showing pictures of how bad some of the cracks are. Apparently its so bad and common that OZ Racing(makers of the wheels) recieved a bulletin on the subject. However, some said that the cracks were due to overtightening of the bolts and has nothing to do with poor craftsmanship.

There's also the 2-piece wheels, which look the same, except I can't tell them apart. Apparently they are made by another company(BBS?) for AMG. These are more rare to find? However I have heard that these do not crack at all.

They seem to be very difficult to find for sale in the US. I have checked on classifieds on the net.. ebay, mercedes forums... and no one has them. There's a website that has a set of the 3-piece for $1500. I thought that was a bit pricey.

I also found out that there are 2 types... the 8.5" width and the 10" width. The 10" is just amazing to look at![8D]

My questions to the experts on this topic is... whats the difference between 2 and 3 piece, (besides the obvious) and what price range should I expect to find these? Just wondering since I don't want to be left looking for these wheels for so long at a price range that I can't afford. Which is more desirable... 2 or 3 piece? And any input on these wheels is much appreciated.... trying to learn more.[8D][}:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 2-piece vs 3-piece AMG wheels

Snibble, don't get me wrong. I love the look of the 3-piece wheel. In fact, I didn't even know that the 2-piece existed. After being warned about the cracking issue with the OZ made 3 piece, I was wary because I've always had bad luck with tires and wheels. If it could happen, it surely would happen to me. After Satish put the 2 piece on his SEC, I was hooked on those. I purchased 2 of the last staggered setups MB had left in inventory. Over 4k per set of 4. They were OE equip. on the 600SL sport. The offset is 23 and 25, the fronts are 8.5" and the rears are 10" The rear lip on the 10" is so deep. Side by side, you can definately see a difference between the 3 and 2 piece. The 2 piece is 18" and 3 piece, I've only seen in 17" I also found a very nice used set of 2 piece for 2k, which I also purchased . They weren't perfect, so I had them restored, for a couple hundred bucks. I'm telling you the 18" 10" look absolutely incredible! Also just bought a set of 5 spoke original wide body only rims on ebay last week. Hope after refinishing, they look as good as french mercedes refurb.

One more thing. Wheelcollision.com has the 2 piece completely redone used for a reasonable amount. You have to look under the SL wheels on their site. They will be the most expensive under that heading.

1989 SEC WIDE BODY 6.0
1991 560SEC
1985 500SEC
1989 300SE
2001 S500
1985 400i
1986 400i
1970 Superbird
1933 RR
1927 La Licorne
1997 Accord EX
Looking for an SLC
#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MRTIKKET - 5/11/2005 6:20 PM

Snibble, don't get me wrong. I love the look of the 3-piece wheel. In fact, I didn't even know that the 2-piece existed. After being warned about the cracking issue with the OZ made 3 piece, I was wary because I've always had bad luck with tires and wheels. If it could happen, it surely would happen to me. After Satish put the 2 piece on his SEC, I was hooked on those. I purchased 2 of the last staggered setups MB had left in inventory. Over 4k per set of 4. They were OE equip. on the 600SL sport. The offset is 23 and 25, the fronts are 8.5" and the rears are 10" The rear lip on the 10" is so deep. Side by side, you can definately see a difference between the 3 and 2 piece. The 2 piece is 18" and 3 piece, I've only seen in 17" I also found a very nice used set of 2 piece for 2k, which I also purchased . They weren't perfect, so I had them restored, for a couple hundred bucks. I'm telling you the 18" 10" look absolutely incredible! Also just bought a set of 5 spoke original wide body only rims on ebay last week. Hope after refinishing, they look as good as french mercedes refurb.

One more thing. Wheelcollision.com has the 2 piece completely redone used for a reasonable amount. You have to look under the SL wheels on their site. They will be the most expensive under that heading.
Ok.. I didn't know that the 2-piece where 18". I thought that there were 2 and 3 piece wheels found in 17" only. Since I am looking for 17" rims.. I guess that my only option is to find a nice set of 17" 3-piece wheels. Thanks for the clarification

btw.. I see that you are capable of being a gentleman when you feel like it. If you keep up with your future posts in the same manner... it would be a much better forum.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: W126C AMG 6.0

The "dish" look is deeper on the 17" 3-peice than the 18" 2-peice, believe it or not. True also, the 2-peice only available in 18" and vice versa, no 18" 3-peice. About the cracking, I've read everything you have and probably more on it. I have spoken to OZ about the issue and pursued replacement of one of my rear wheels when, after purchasing a used set, noticed one of the rears had a stress fracture around a lug hole. After going over all of this info and speaking to OZ and wheel shops that knew of this, they both mentioned air-gun tightening being the culprit. They should always be tightened by hand and the impact wrench jolts after reaching the bolt's max torquing point were causing the fractures. In my opinion, any wheel that cost $1500 ea. in 1991 should NEVER have an impact wrench problem, period. The alloy that the centers are made of is softer than most. Luckily, I found a NOS wheel to replace my rear with. I honestly don't think that a single stress fracture would cause any major problems but its scary to think about. If you decide to stick with the 17" 3-peice, make sure you get close up photos of the center bore and lug holes to check for cracks. I just had my set powder-coated and will try to put them on this weekend. They look pretty mean in black. About the 18's, I would love a set to powder-coat black but I'll have to wait on a deal for a set. Can't see spending the $4K when I'm happy with my current wheels.

Mike
Old School AMG Junkee
W126C- 6.0L AMG 32v- SOLD!!!
W163
W124
#5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
EuroCoupe - 5/11/2005 7:42 PM

The "dish" look is deeper on the 17" 3-peice than the 18" 2-peice, believe it or not. True also, the 2-peice only available in 18" and vice versa, no 18" 3-peice. About the cracking, I've read everything you have and probably more on it. I have spoken to OZ about the issue and pursued replacement of one of my rear wheels when, after purchasing a used set, noticed one of the rears had a stress fracture around a lug hole. After going over all of this info and speaking to OZ and wheel shops that knew of this, they both mentioned air-gun tightening being the culprit. They should always be tightened by hand and the impact wrench jolts after reaching the bolt's max torquing point were causing the fractures. In my opinion, any wheel that cost $1500 ea. in 1991 should NEVER have an impact wrench problem, period. The alloy that the centers are made of is softer than most. Luckily, I found a NOS wheel to replace my rear with. I honestly don't think that a single stress fracture would cause any major problems but its scary to think about. If you decide to stick with the 17" 3-peice, make sure you get close up photos of the center bore and lug holes to check for cracks. I just had my set powder-coated and will try to put them on this weekend. They look pretty mean in black. About the 18's, I would love a set to powder-coat black but I'll have to wait on a deal for a set. Can't see spending the $4K when I'm happy with my current wheels.
Mike, thanks for the reply.. am I correct to say that the cracks occur between the lug nut holes to the center cap? Any other places where one should keep an eye out on? Also, feel free to pm/email me with info regarding OZ and the replacing a defective wheel. I thought that they wouldn't have any in stock to replace with. Can't wait to see pics of your ride either[8D]
#6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: W126C AMG 6.0

Yes, cracks go from inside edge of lug hole to center bore (cap). I will keep you updated if/when I hear anything about replacements but its a long shot...

Mike
Old School AMG Junkee
W126C- 6.0L AMG 32v- SOLD!!!
W163
W124
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004

The offsets on the 2-piece 18" SL AMG's is not 23 and 25 -it is 25 all round. Both the 8.5J fronts AND 10J rears are e25.

The 3-piece 17" AMG's are also 8.5J front and 10J rear but et 18 front and et 17 rear. (The 2-piece wheels were made by BBS).

The dish is approx 0.5 inch deeper on the 10J 3-piece AMG's than on the 2-piece. The outer rims were hand-polished on the 3-piece rims but machine polished on the 2-piece rims.

Whilst the 2-piece AMG's just about work on the w126, they were NEVER designed by AMG for the w126 - the 3-piece wheels WERE designed to fit the W126, as per AMG documentation. The 10J 2-piece rears have an offset of e25, whilst the 3-piece 10J rears have an offset of 17....so the 2-piece AMG's are 8mm closer to rubbing the 'inner' wall on the rear arches. They work, but it's VERY close. Ample room with the 3-piece wheels....and a deeper dish. Add to that the fact that the 3-piece wheels have 35 gleaming raised-head fasteners on each wheel (as opposed to the 20 flat head fasteners on the 2-piece), the 3-piece wheel ends up looking sensational. Those fasteners on the 3-piece look like jewels in a crown.

I agree that 17" is the way to go on a w126. Consider that AMG never offered an 18" option on the w126.

The Aero I's look simply stunning on the w126 sedan - simple but aggresive, as they have an offset of e11 and are 17". My 300SE wears the Aero I's.

There are PLENTY of 3-piece and 2-piece AMG wheels available on German ebay and ebay.uk - they sell for big money on ebay.de but on the ebay.uk site, they go for silly money.

Attached is a link to pics of the 3-piece wheels on my 560 and the 2-piece which were on my 500E (now wearing sensational 3-piece 18" Brabus Monoblock III wheels, which in my opinion simply outclass the AMG wheels...)

560 :

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=hakkinen&album_id=186013

500e

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=hakkinen&album_id=192395

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=hakkinen&album_id=191832

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=hakkinen&album_id=196839

300se

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=hakkinen&album_id=187990

Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Black 040
Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Spruce Green
Mercedes AMG 560SEC 1988
Mercedes AMG DOHC M117 w126 AMG Widebody SEC 1985
Mercedes 560SE Carat Duchatelet 1987
Mercedes w126 SEL Brabus
Mercedes w124 T Brabus
Porsche 911 Turbo SE Slantnose 1986
Mercedes 560E - w124 5.6 DOHC 360bhp by Stratton
Ferrari 328 GTS Quattrovalvole 1986 Koenig Widebody
Porsche 928 S4 by Strosek, Supercharged 550bhp
Mercedes 190E AMG Widebody
Mercedes SEC by Gemballa 6.9
#8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

As usual.. thank you Talbir for your input.

I feel stupid now as I see that the 18" 2 piece and 17" 3 piece are obviously different in looks. The fact that one has "AMG" casted and the other "///AMG" is also another major difference. I thought they were the exact same wheels made by a different company. The 3-piece in my oppinion looks a lot better with the wider spokes. Its also meaner looking compared to the 18"... even though its a smaller size wheel.

I have my mind set on 17" 3 piece wheels... just need to find them someplace for a price I could afford. Be it in the US or Europe.. but the likelihood of finding them in my range would be in Europe.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004

Yes, very good point - the 3-piece wheels (and Aero I's) have the original 'AMG' logo.

The late '///AMG' logo only came into effect in late 1991 - once w126 production had effectively ceased. No w126 AMG would have ever had the '/// AMG' type homologation.

Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Black 040
Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Spruce Green
Mercedes AMG 560SEC 1988
Mercedes AMG DOHC M117 w126 AMG Widebody SEC 1985
Mercedes 560SE Carat Duchatelet 1987
Mercedes w126 SEL Brabus
Mercedes w124 T Brabus
Porsche 911 Turbo SE Slantnose 1986
Mercedes 560E - w124 5.6 DOHC 360bhp by Stratton
Ferrari 328 GTS Quattrovalvole 1986 Koenig Widebody
Porsche 928 S4 by Strosek, Supercharged 550bhp
Mercedes 190E AMG Widebody
Mercedes SEC by Gemballa 6.9
#10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 360TE AMG; 500E

So is there any way to replace or fix the center portion ?

Is anyone reproducing them ?

I have one wheel that has the cracks!

:-) neil
1988 360TE AMG
1993 500E
1995 E320 wagon

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class