Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Exhaust fume/smoke?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dsilvar 
#1 ·
My wife said she saw "black purple smoke coming" coming out from the tailpipe when I first started the car and drvoe out of the driveway. Any thought of what that mean?

#6 ·
[}:)]

blow it out the rear on the HW!

truly!

or it could be the engine burning oil... but then you would most likely be seen alot more of the blue smoke.

not only when starting the car in the morning and driving out the driveway - but also every time you would step on the gas.

I have 3 MB tech's
Two of them have at least one w126
Quote: if the cars are not used as inteded they grow old on you.

Engle

#8 ·
Way over rich mixture which will wash some oil off the cylinder walls or bad valve guides/seals. If it does it worse after only sitting for say 30 minutes but is much less over night it's the guides/seals. Overnight the oil has a chance to seep down past the rings. Another way to tell is run it up to 100MPH, then coast down, then open up the throttle again. A big cloud in the rearview is guides.
BTW a 95 S500 is a W140.

#9 ·
I just had the oil changed not too long ago. The mech put in 9.5 qt. of oil in it. Sounded like a lot to me, but he has been working on Benz for ages and he himeself has a 420SEL. So I pretty much trust what he's doing. That's only this morning when I took my son to school. First start and it's nothing like a big cloud behind but just shooting out the tailpipe. At school I left the car running in idle and went back to check, nothing. Oh well, I guess I'll call the guy again.

ER... I was talking about the W126 560SEL, my other car. The W140 runs like new even after 9 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.