Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Suggested Improvements for the 126

3K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  prettyfly69 
#1 ·
The 126 was introduced over 20 years ago.
I find the design & styling hard to fault.
If you were in the 126 design team. What improvements would you recommend, maintaining the classic looks & keeping the design intact?

My contribution is:-
1. Improved instrument lighting.
2. 5-speed Auto Transmission.
3. "B" pillar airconditioning vents.
4. Repositioning of the horn behind the FRT. bumper for unrestricted air entry to the A/C condensor & radiator.

#2 ·
I know technically this does not apply to the w126 as an improvement issue but when it came time to chose the engines, if I were Bruno, I would say: “screw trying to save weight. Find some way to fit non plastic chain guides in these aluminum V8s!�

#3 ·
I'm planning on fitting a 722.5 to my 91 560SEC hopefully w/ in the next year as well as putting in a 3.08 diff.

drop me a line off list and I'll keep you updated!
Jonathan

#4 ·
I would add:

Electric rear headrests.
Heated rear seats for the SEC.
Electric driver side mirror.
Illuminated seat switches.

#6 ·
I’m not saying these cars are old but…

They predate “cup holders� – the glove box door/tray is just that: a tray for your drinks when you ate at the drive-in restaurant. Waitresses in ponytails would roller skate out to your car to take your order. They were good for drinks at the drive-in movies as well… [:p]

I say any improvements noted should be that which was available in 1975-79; one could say they should have CD players and GPS.
[xx(]

#7 ·
Oh, and a blower so our cars will be on par w/ current crop of luxury cars... But superchargedsec did that already;-)

Lastly, a decent sound system, the stock becker is mediocre at best..!

Jonathan

#10 ·
The biggest thing I think in this version S class is the sound system. Back in 91 if you bought a 91 w126 when it comes to this you got shafted in sound cause in 92 the S came with an amazing 12speaker powerful Bose system.

Otherwise, bigger gauges like the w140 and lighting would be good too.

#12 ·
I would have kept the chrome metal door handles and the chrome metal windshield wiper arms from the W116 S-class.

Standard rear headrests for the 300SD. LWB aka 300SDL option for the early 300SD.

Keep the first 5-cylinder turbo diesel engine even in the later models, except refine it.

A little hard to improve on near-perfection.

Tory

#15 ·
I would suggest the following...

improve the eletrical and vacuum systems

improve to the rubber compounds used in the bushings
for increased durability and comfort

improve seats to provide more support and side
bolsters

setup engines to provide performance even on 87 octane

That is just my two cents. This car has great styling and excellent lines.

#16 ·
Benzonline - 10/18/2004 12:15 AM

The biggest thing I think in this version S class is the sound system. Back in 91 if you bought a 91 w126 when it comes to this you got shafted in sound cause in 92 the S came with an amazing 12speaker powerful Bose system.

Otherwise, bigger gauges like the w140 and lighting would be good too.
Interesting, I disliked that set up even more..Bose equipment always sounds Very un natural to me, always Way to heavy on the bass.
I would like if you could get cars w/ a radio delete..make my life much easier!
Jonathan

#18 ·
you can after living in Atlanta... I'm all for a strong Hit (running a JL12W6) but so many of the cars floating around here are about to have their body panels vibrated off.. Anyone can set up a stereo to vibrate your fillings out, but getting one to accuratly reporduce sound w/ exceptional clarity/imaging is the chalenge.

Jonathan

#20 ·
the stereo is such a disappointment. i mean these were flagship cars, but no-one had any decent factory sound worth mentioning.

since the mid 90s factory systems included nakamichi and mark levinson.

at least now the benzes come with bose and alpine setups.

#21 ·
Funny thing, i have addressed a lot of these problems in my car already...hhehe...

horn restricting air flow? I removed them and put 100dB hella horns in the bumper.

Stock system? what a joke. PC driven surround sound, with dual amps, dual subs.

I don't have a B pillar.

Backlit gauges..no more lighting problems.

5 speed? how about 6 speed manual, or 7 speed auto.

US lights? Yuck. Euros with Xenon.

Front headlight wipers? i had them, but who needs it in california.

2.47 diff? bleh...3.27 now (but dying)

Cup holder? you're not supposed to drink things in the car anyway.

my biggest complaint is with the head design. Shoulda installed the 119 motor or the AMG 32 valver....heh.

#24 ·
I've always had my eye out for a class II hitch receiver - instead of the only option being a fixed ball hitch. I can use my bike rack in a class II/III hitch receiver. No way I'll ever use a bike rack that latches onto the painted body.

More selection in the wiper speeds - maybe even automatic rain wiper sensors.

Cruise control that works.

Remote trunk release.

Side curtain airbags.

#25 ·
CC works fine for ten or fifteen years…

They pioneered front airbags – sides were nowhere in the picture…

Auto wiper speeds were also a little beyond late 70s technologies…

Or..

To have that stuff your average 126 would cost six figures. [:0]

Let’s also remember the design philosophy behind the car.

#26 ·
Stereo is perfectly fine..... mine came with a nakamichi system

From what it is it does reproduces sound acurately i have only added a dynaudio system.... some amp and kept the head unit stock.... From what i know all w126 sold in 1991 in my country were all equipped with nakamichi as the stock head unit...

And seriously i don't think too highly of subs the only sub i think is fine is the jl audio 12w7, dynaudio subs/woofer, focal utopia(only utopia rangethe rest is junk)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.