Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

one key opens both cars??

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SilverStar 
#1 ·
well today i picked up the key to one of my mercedes and walked out and opened the door then stuck the key in the ignition and it wouldnt turn.

I thgen figured it was the key to my other mercedes.

I found this shocking because the key was able to unlock both cars. THe keys are distinctly cut diffrently but still can open the other car.

These are the square headed keys and i remeber reading in the manual that the square head keys are the master key to your car.

Does this mean that it can open or atleast lock and unlock any mercedes with similar keys?

this concerns me if that is the case cuz anyone can get into your car if they have that key Ive only seen about 3-4 w126 within 30 miles of me but still sort of a sercutity problem.

anyone shed some light on this?

#3 ·
hmm..
This one time my roommate needed batteries, so I told him i had some in my car (randomly in the center console) So i gave him my keys and he went down, came back and told me he couldn't find them. Shocked as I was they were not that hard to find in there, I said are you sure?. And he said nope, your car is the red one right? I said what?!? no. my car is black. are you sure you didnt just put the key in and the car was just left open?? nope I locked it too. I was like what the hell. So i went out there and sure enough my key opened up someone else's car. couldn't start it though. was going to go for a late night joyride. hehehe. So i'm not alone.. hmmm.. -emil

#5 ·
This happens if the lock is worn. My old key could open my friends SEC. Usually the ignition lock is in better condition than the door lock though, so no worries about the car being drivin away. Anyway, these cars are REALLY easy to open even without a key, i recomend aftermarked alarm system.

#6 ·
cyberdrakon - 10/16/2004 4:38 AM

Anyway, these cars are REALLY easy to open even without a key, i recomend aftermarked alarm system.
Easy to open without a key? I always assumed the W126 was a rather difficult car to break into.

All this lock talk has me worried. [:(]

#8 ·
The door locks on both my SEC's are worn. Either key fits either car. The key to my '79 Renault 4 will open both cars. In fact, you can even use a small coin to open one of them! My old w123ce was exactly the same.

The ignition locks are tougher beasts, and the correct key is always required.

Basically, it ain't going anywhere, just don't leave your valuables in an old Benz

#9 ·
Ahh...yes, i was comparing to other luxury cars. compared to toyota and ford, it's pretty tough to get into.

I also think they put more emphasis on the ignition and trunk lock, since the door locks can always be slim jimmed or the glass pulled down/smashed.

#10 ·
When I first got my Tahoe I had to take it back to the dealer for service. I was talking to one of the service guys and was not paying attention and locked my one and only key in the truck. The Service agent went inside and came out with a ring full of keys. He started trying different keys and the key to on of the cavaliers that was on the lot opened my door. The agent told me that for a while Chevy only made 5 different cylinder sets for the doors and that the only particular cylinders were those used for the ignition. This could be the same kind situation.

#11 ·
my mom's 560 sel keys work inmy 560 sec, even in the ignition. but it doesn't work the other way around. its nice for my mom so she can move my car if i am not around. and i know for a fact that my dad's ml 500 key won't work in either car. i was a little worried about the key issue but if you worry about every little thing you forget about the big picture. which is that you are driving one of the finest vehicles ever made!!![:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.