Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

to TINT or not to TINT (thats the question)

6K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 ·
now what do you guys think?
i´m thinking about tinting the rear side and the rear window with dark limo tint.

suggestions and opinions are very welcome here!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
my 560 SEL have a 2 rear side window tint but the rear window was not tinting because i think it's dangerous (in the night be carefull) but i have a black electric blind and when it open you see never inside of external view and the look is same that a rear window tint, but if you want to look at rear perfectly you can to fold up it but the rear window tint it's for ever!

Attachments

#6 ·
If i was to drive my car more i would def go with tintin it... it makes the car looks so much better and so much more expensive. How does it make it look ghetto??? it aint like puttin a big honda muffler on ur benz

#7 ·
you dont understand me ! i just say : in the night when you roll in reverse gear you see never if you rear window was black and it's dangerous for you and for the car! but with a clear rear window with electric blind or manual blind you can to fold up the blind for to see and for exterior men, when the blind was to deploy, the appearance it's near to black tint window!

#8 ·
get a light tint....adds much more class to the car than a dark tint ever could.

this is an elegant car...and that includes the interior. make it so that its slightly visible during the day, and a light tint is enough to make it pretty dark at nite anyways.

i used to have tinted windows till the cops made me take them off...... miss that tint.

#9 ·
“Properly done…�

Tinting a w126 is like a face-lift or nose job: if done poorly you can tell – if done well one will not notice.

Yes, if you stick that plastic tint film on the inside of the window you get from Big Billy Bob auto parts store it will look ghetto/trailer park…[:(]

#14 ·
It is a professionally applied film, there is no other option on these cars.

My tint is 35% which is the maximum here for drivers and passenger front side windows and I didn't want to have different levels of tint on different windows.

Matt.

#17 ·
I think mattman's tint looks the best. If you want them that dark DEF-C go buy a $2 can of black spray paint and spray it on the inside of the glass. You will probably be able to see more through the painted windows too.

If the cars stock I wouldn't tint but if you've got the wheels, suspension etc then tint. In the end its up to you DEF-C.

Off topic - it's good to see some people from Aus and NZ posting.

#18 ·
Hey all,

I love this topic because I am getting ready to tint my 560. here's my two cents:
I'm in NY and the max on the front windows is 35%...I will go with that. On the rear, I am going to black it out.

I have a buddy with a similar color 420 SEL and has the same tint scheme. It looks hot! His interior stays cool in the summer and maintains privacy for the rear. The only caveat to the back window is to get an installer who can cover it with one sheet. I have seen some installs with the obvious horizontal seam.

#19 ·
BigBenzNYC - 8/8/2004 11:16 AM

The only caveat to the back window is to get an installer who can cover it with one sheet. I have seen some installs with the obvious horizontal seam.
A professional will also install the back window tint in such a way as to avoid the defrost wires from melting the tint. Amateur tint installation will have the telltale “sag� where the film has detached from the glass where the wire is located.

#20 ·
So true. My advice with tinting via a "professional" installer is to see some of his work. The older, the better. The best situation is a word of mouth recommendation from someone you know...who is a customer of the installer.

In the end, "dude, just don't F-up my ride, ok???"

#21 ·
In Europe, (which I see you're in) your best bet is NOT to tint.

People will think you're being obnoxious there. Plus it looks bad to Europeans to do that to your car...unless you're a boy racer.

#24 ·
I tint all my cars eventually. The fact that it looks good or it looks like a gangster car is only a secondary concern.

I do it because I want to keep the inside of the car in good shape. I don't want any fading or cracking and all that bad stuff. When I park, I always put a sunshade in the front up, again, not because it is more comfortable for me to get into, but I don't want damage to the interior over time.

Tory

#25 ·
Like mattman I have 35% tint on both my 300E and 560SEL (that is the maximum tint legal in NZ) ... I say go for it! As has been said it keeps the interior cooler and also reduces the UV rays on the passengers - and the interior (good for both I suggest). One bonus is at night there is substantially reduced visibility into the car ... stops people from "checking out" what may be inside (I try to never leave anything of valuein the car as that just encourages trouble).

I wouldnt worry about this affecting resale value, as the tint could be removed (with appropriate care).

[:)]

#26 ·
i would go ahead and tint it, and get it done at a reputable shop using highquality film. I wouldnt get it too dark, but just enough that it looks classy. From what ive heard, tinting may increase the resale value if you are planning to sell it. Like everyone else said, it keeps the inside cooler and reduces glare as well. Go for it!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.