Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Repainting an '87 300 SDL

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyFracica 
#1 ·
My '87 300 SDL is in dire need of a complete paint job. I don't want to change the color but I would like to restore it to factory conditions if possible. I want to repaint the wheels as well.

Does anybody have an idea what it will cost? It is two tone if I remember correctly the top is pearl gray metallic and the bottom was called street gray.

thanks,

#2 ·
we had a pretty lengthy thread about repainting our cars a few months or so ago. you may want to search this forum for the thread. some people swore by their multi-thousand-dollar paintjobs, while others seemed quite happy with maaco.

#3 ·
janos_z - 1/15/2004 7:54 AM

we had a pretty lengthy thread about repainting our cars a few months or so ago. you may want to search this forum for the thread. some people swore by their multi-thousand-dollar paintjobs, while others seemed quite happy with maaco.
Thanks Janos,

I'll do a search.

#4 ·
A coworker of mine used to work at a Ferrari shop. He recently saw in a Ferrari magazine an article where the author said that Miracle will do as good a paint job as any other high end shop. Where they fall seriously short is on the prep work. So if you can find somebody to do all the prep work and then take it to them, you will get a good paint job.

If you find the thread, let me know. My SEC is in need of a paint job.

Tom

#6 ·
You know, Andy, in talking with the local independent shops, there seems to be a fairly complete network of former M-B OKC technicians for all areas of these cars. Stereos, paintless dent repair, upholstery, and paint & body. All of these former dealer technicians keep fairly close ties. I would call around and ask who these indy shops recommend for paint work on a M-B.

On the other hand, Hot Rod had an excellent series of articles a few years ago on painting. Their approach was to do ALL of the prep work yourself and then take it to some place like Maaco or Peach and simply let them shoot the color. You wind up expending a lot of sweat, but little cash.

#7 ·
90secowner - 1/17/2004 12:09 AM

A coworker of mine used to work at a Ferrari shop. He recently saw in a Ferrari magazine an article where the author said that Miracle will do as good a paint job as any other high end shop. Where they fall seriously short is on the prep work. So if you can find somebody to do all the prep work and then take it to them, you will get a good paint job.

If you find the thread, let me know. My SEC is in need of a paint job.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I'm not familiar with Miracle (although it may take a miracle to make this car look good again. [:)]). Is that a chain or a local shop?

#9 ·
Jim Dandy - 1/18/2004 10:43 AM

You know, Andy, in talking with the local independent shops, there seems to be a fairly complete network of former M-B OKC technicians for all areas of these cars. Stereos, paintless dent repair, upholstery, and paint & body. All of these former dealer technicians keep fairly close ties. I would call around and ask who these indy shops recommend for paint work on a M-B.

On the other hand, Hot Rod had an excellent series of articles a few years ago on painting. Their approach was to do ALL of the prep work yourself and then take it to some place like Maaco or Peach and simply let them shoot the color. You wind up expending a lot of sweat, but little cash.
Thanks Jim,

I have used Precision Autobody at 66th and S. Shields for our 02 C240 to repair damage to the fender and the drivers door. They did a great job you could not tell the old paint from the new paint.

MB of OKC uses a bodyshop just down the street on Broadway and 6th I think.

If I do it I'll want to replace the chrome trim on the bumpers. They're pretty bad. The rest of the chrome looks okay.

This is a daily driver so I don't want to go crazy with the paint job. We intend to hand this down to our son who will be 16 in a year and a half (it will still be our car, but it will be available for him to use). My wife wants to get a 2000 or 2001 E300 for herself after we do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.