Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A good or bad example of a 560SEL?

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  jdc1244 
#1 ·
You decide.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451916134&category=9855

#2 ·
The interior looks a bit rough; exterior looks good (that white stuff is snow, right? It would make me nervous). Of topic a bit, do you guys with RHD get a left food rest? Lack of a left food rest is the only thing I don’t like about my US spec w126. You turn on the lights with your right hand and turn the ignition with your left; weird. (Sorry, this ugly American has never been in a RHD car.) [:I]

#4 ·
jdc1244:

(that white stuff is snow, right? It would make me nervous). Of topic a bit, do you guys with RHD get a left food rest? Lack of a left food rest is the only thing I don’t like about my US spec w126. You turn on the lights with your right hand and turn the ignition with your left; weird. (Sorry, this ugly American has never been in a RHD car.)
Lol, it sure looks like snow! Though I’ve never seen any in real life.

Yes we have a left footrest on our cars.
Funny you find our cars weird and I find your cars weird

Hey don't worry I've never been in a LHD car so we're even.

#7 ·
Sorry, I did not mean to offend by saying RHD cars are “weird,� I should have said I would feel disoriented. I have a UK W126 owner’s manual with the dash layout in both LHD and RHD: at least the throttle is on the right and the parking brake release is different. In either configuration the layout is excellent for cars this old. They were way ahead of their time; it’s almost as if modern cars have taken a step backward in that regard.

#8 ·
jdc1244:
Sorry, I did not mean to offend by saying RHD cars are “weird,� I should have said I would feel disoriented.
Hey don't worry about it. I wasn't offended.
I would feel disoriented too driving a LHD vehicle. Its only natural we're accustomed to what we know.

In my Australian owner's manual it has the dash layout for both types as well.

I agree the W126 was ahead of its time. Most of its options are on today’s vehicles. So it doesn’t seem as if we are driving "old" cars. I love how in the W126 the handbrake is not in the centre of the front seats like in other vehicles but to the side.

Once you own one of these cars you learn to appreciate its quality and engineering. Makes every other car pale in comparison.

#9 ·
Whenever I get behind the wheel of my w126 I’m not aware I’m driving an 18 y/o car. I had an 86 Chevy Caprice Classic once (before my MB conversion/epiphany) that had a dreadful layout of controls and instruments; every time I drove the car I was hit hard with the fact: “I’m driving a really old car.� The steering was imprecise, the ride was sloppy, and the engine was very noisy at 116,000 miles. My w126, with almost twice the miles, is smooth, quiet, and modern. My w123 is the same. The instruments and controls are simple, clean, and modern. [:D]

#10 ·
Doesn't look to bad. The chrome trim is a bit much for me but that is why we all are different and have different taste. Looks good.

#12 ·
I used to switch between left and right hand drive cars quite frequently when I used to travel abroad. The RHD car I used to drive was a standard and the only problem I ever felt was mixing up between the wiper and the indicator switches. Plus for the first couple of hours I would constantly slam my right hand to the door in the anticipation to change the gear until I would realize that it was on my left. But all in all it takes about 2-3 hours to get used to the opposite side steering.

Sohaib

#14 ·
RE: Don't you wonder why he is only showing the drivers side

Hmmmm, Robin that's a very good point. Perhaps there is something wrong with the passenger's side.

If I were to purchase the car I would definitely see it in person first. Some of these Ebay sellers are very suspicious.

#15 ·
I have to admit, I do like the 'pimp' look, and as said above each to his own. The guy lives in Yorkshire - and there has been a bit of snow over the Christmas period up there. Nothing to worry about! Him boasting about the top speed would be a concern though (we have a 70mph max limit). The car may have thrashed? [:(]

However, check out the Austin Cambridge in the background!

#17 ·
Assassin1987 - 1/10/2004 4:35 AM

Man, those European headlights look alot better than the American style. Are they a direct swap, say if you wanted to buy those and then put them into your American 560SEL? Would they fit?

Yes, indeed (sigh)

Remember, those are the lights our cars are supposed to have![:(!] (what a rip-off)

Oh well, some day…

#18 ·
jdc1244:
Remember, those are the lights our cars are supposed to have!
Don't forget the extra performance/power and shorter bumper bars that you were also meant to have!

#22 ·
Yes, It will be very satisfying restoring it to its original intent.

I'm into restoring things. It's great fun. You learn along the way, you appreciate the item far more and you relish your accomplishment at the end.

#23 ·
….and as I may have mentioned before, the cost of restoration is a small investment compared to buying a new car – once complete I’ll have a “new� car with the quality and safety of a Mercedes (and classic looks/styling to boot) that no new car can match! [:D]

#25 ·
I actually *prefer* the early US-spec W126 headlights. Good lighting and nice amber centers. I even prefer them over the later US-spec and the European-spec. Having lived in Europe for 10 years (England/Austria/Switzerland), seeing the European-spec ones are very uninteresting. Being in Saudi Arabia (where my dad works) I was able to see US-spec & Euro-spec Mercedes' side by side. Overall, both were adored, however, most prefered the US-spec models. The big bumpers & higher spec made it more attractive. Different folks, different strokes i guess.

#26 ·
merouby - 1/18/2004 12:38 AM

I actually *prefer* the early US-spec W126 headlights.
But…but…but…HE MUST BE MAD!!!! Heretic!!!!! He must be burned at the stake!!!![:0]

ONLY KIDDING – JUST A JOKE[:)][:)][:)]

merouby, your point is well taken, intelligent, and correct. In addition, it is not only one’s preference but also what may be perceived as different or even “exotic.� Fact is, the plastic trim around the lamps on my car is cracked and pitted – you can’t really see it unless you’re up close – so they need to be replaced anyway. I think I’ll like the euro lamps better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.