Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

pardon my ignorance

837 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chriss 
#1 ·
ok, im not smart or something because i dont understand what classifys a car as a "touring car".
i was reading these bentley magazines and they refer to all their cars as "grand tourers". is this just the british term for luxury car?

i just wanna figure this out and thougut since this fourm is home to vast amounts of information i might be able to find an answer to this.

special thanks to anyone that can answer this for me, its not like im dying to understand it, im just puzzled.

#2 ·
Our car (SEC) is classified as a grand tourer. It's a term used to describe a coupe that is not a pure "sports car" but rather a luxurious car for cruising/touring. I love the term Grand Tourer. It suits our car very well.

The SL (R107 and R129) and CL (W140) are described as Grand Tourers also.

#3 ·
ahhh

thanks so much cnd, i thought it might be but i wasnt sure. i know from some mercedes magazines printed in england they call hoods bonnets and trunks boots, i diddnt know if it was one of those deals or whatever.

thats cool, im gonna start refering to it as that from now on if it comes up in coversation with anyone hah.

thanks again [:D]

#4 ·
It's the same here in Australia.We call hoods bonnets and trunks boots.

Lol,Zaystev that's a beautiful car you have there.
Or should that be beautiful grand tourer?

#5 ·
Dear Zaystev, I shall answer from an English point of view.
The term was first used to describe the carriages, (They were beocomming cars), of rich people who used to tour Europe in them because apart from train this was the only way to travel.
Bentley naturally hold on to this term because of their past and the fact that they have only made this sort of car. The cars could be either driven by the chaufeur or be two seaters and I would say that S Class Mercs, SL Mercs, Aston Martins and E Type Jags are all examples of cars to tour in. Ferrari and Maserati are not because they are so sports orientated. Porshe maybe but they are a bit too small.
Rest assured that you are not stupid just think large car, large engine, easy to drive very fast all day. Regards, Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.