Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Re : Reasonable Offer

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Irv 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That's not really a lot of miles for a Diesel at all.

I think for the year it may be a little high on the price but if the car is in Excellent condition and has all of the repair records you are probably on safe ground.

I spent 6500 on a 1987 Diesel with 150,000 miles on it and have since had it restored with another $5000 worth of work. I expect to get 300,000 more miles out of it easily.

#4 ·
101k miles?! That's nothing; it's difficult to find any 1983 with that kind of mileage (that's not in a junkyard already). That works out to slightly more than 5000 miles per year.

I'm no expert in car valuation, but that car is worth at least 5-6 grand, assuming the car is in the shape its vendor claims it is in. That's a major "IF" with some eBay cars; buyer beware.

That said, the car's engine has got about 250k miles until a rebuild. It's an expensive proposition to refurbish any W126. You may find another 300 SD out there for a lower price, but you are going to end up paying more to get it back into proper shape.

On a side note, I get a kick out of reading some of these descriptions.

"For your listening pleasure this vehicle has a Becker AM /FM Cassette Stereo System with a Power Antennae that can play with the best of them ..."

Ok, everyone who has their original Becker in their car, raise their hand. Ok, keep your hand up if you like its sound quality or think it's not a complete heap. .... Anyone? Anyone at all?

"For Safety .... [there are] Hand Grabs for each occupant..."

I wonder if my insurance company will give me a discount for having oh sh*t! bars installed.

#5 ·
"For Safety .... [there are] Hand Grabs for each occupant..."

I wonder if my insurance company will give me a discount for having oh sh*t! bars installed.
Hah! You'd be surprised how often passengers are thankful for those hand grabs in my car!!

Yes the refurbish has been expensive but if you go through your vehicle you are bound to find stuff that needs doing.

My biggest expenses were the complete front and rear suspension, the rear differential and Universal joint replacement/repair, and replacing the timing belt and tensioner. Being a big heavy car this stuff was well worn after 16 years of service.

That was the lion’s share of the bill. Others costs were the engine steam clean (2x), buff and polish, flush of non-MB coolant, replacing the coolant reservoir, various gasket replacements on the Tranny and Driveline, Replacing the floating motor mounts and other internal shock absorbers, rotating the tires, tightening the shift knob, and even my windshield wipers were wrong.

All of this has made a phenomenal difference the car handles like a go-kart and will leave 50 series size rubber strips if I drop the hammer from a stand still.

I spent a mint but this is a collector’s car that I can keep for ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.