Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Knockdown cable

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 · (Edited)
Kickdown cable

Got a fairly simple problem. Car won't rev past about two thousand rpms. Problem is the Bowden cable has slack in it. These v8 models have a completely different cable and adjustment process than the 6-cylinder models. The PDFs I found from Mercedes said to adjust the throttle cable until the plastic "needles" lined up on top of throttle assembly. I take it this means there's no adjustment for the Bowden cable itself. I adjusted the throttle cable until the needles lined up and the car idles at 1100 rpms. This of course is not good so I adjusted it back. Is my bowden cable just stretched so bad i just need to replace it? All help is appreciated. Car is a 93 400e.

#3 ·
Car isn't in limp mode. Car will shift down and go if you FLOOR it enough to hit the switch under the pedal. Other than this though the transmission will not down shift if you need it too. I just need to know if there's a way to adjust the kickdown cable on the v8 cars. Engine has plenty of power and runs good. Just won't downshift. Both upper and lower harnesses have been replaced along with the TB. Attatched are the PDF's I was referring to.

Attachments

#4 ·
Here is a picture of the plastic needles in my car. They're supposed to be aligned but they're not. The throttle cable is attached to one of them and the kickdown cable is attached to the other. From what the pdf says you have to adjust the throttle cable to take up the slack in the kickdown cable. Only problem is when you do this the car idles high. From what I can tell there is no adjustment for the kickdown cable itself. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Suspension

#6 ·
Made a spacer to put in between the two just to test if this was the problem. Man, it's a completely different car. Before you could be cruising at 60 and floor it and it wouldn't even shift down. Now it does. It's completely different. I've never heard this engine rev past probably 2200 rpm's. Sounds awesome at 4000. The spacer fixed the problem but like I said, this is just a temporary patch to see if this was the problem. It obviously is but I just don't know how to fix it permanently other that getting a new kickdown cable. Before I spend $200 though I need to make sure that mine is actually stretched and there's not a way to take the slack out of it that I'm missing. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.