Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is the W124 Still a Reliable Choice? [OC - Video]

10K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Scolirk 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago we were invited to test drive a 1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E with AMG kit. As is the case with all the videos we produce now, we include a buyer's guide and detailed information about these cars throughout the video. To do so we need to research the cars. The owner's provide plenty of information about their specific car, but we like to cover as much as we can.

So a big thank you goes out to this community, which surprised me with how active it is in comparison to other generation of cars on other enthusiast forums. You guys here really love your W124s! And I hope that I was accurately able to represent this car in the video we published this morning.

We hope the videos we produce like this will help people who are interested in learning more about the W124 or in the market to buy one. We were surprised at how many great examples are out there on the road still! So much so that we had offers from a few other owners to have their W124s reviewed, one convertible happening this week.

Our hope is to film at least 2 more in total then provide a full Buyers Guide video on the car. So please let me know if I might have gotten anything wrong during this video, or if I missed any critical information that would be important for subsequent videos. It's one thing to research problems and complaints on a forum, but it's another to live with them! As much as we'd like to own and live with a W124 to get the full picture, we'd have to buy every car we film. I'd like that, but my wife would murder me.

Hope you enjoy our trip back to 1988 with this video, we really enjoyed making it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very interesting, and quite a nice car.
Not a full stock 1988 however (not mentionning the AMG add-ons, but the anachronic rims, headlights, hood grille, ...).

Jean-Louis

ps: to answer your first question, "yes", to me the w124 remains the most reliable car, ever.

#3 ·
Stock-Ish :p At least it's not spray painted and modified beyond recognition. Someone's ruined a good 78 S-Class by putting 21" rims and re-upholstering the entire interior with blue/black leather with oversized tri-stars on it.

The W124 definitely seems like a reliable choice, after speaking with some other enthusiasts about it they all come to that same conclusion.

#8 ·
Gorgeous! We reviewed an E55 AMG a couple weeks ago, the owner of that is buying a 500E but it has an idle issue right now so he hasn't been able to bring it home. We just wrapped on a C36 AMG and the owner of that also has a 500E but it's been cosmetically upgraded, aftermarket headlights, bright paint job, different wheels, etc. I'm hoping the stock 500 will be ready before early July so we can review it, if not the convertible we have scheduled might be all we can do this summer. Depends on how many W124s live out in Quebec!

#10 ·
Normally we like the cars to be as mint as possible, but given that it's a 30 year old daily driver and we're still at the begging stage of getting cars we couldn't complain. Down the road we'll have the luxury of being picky. We would love to review a diesel, that's for sure! Seattle is a little far though, especially once we finally move further east next month.

#12 ·
The same reason why anyone does something, because they love it! I started filming them almost 2 years ago when I was in the market for my E38 BMW 7 Series. I'd go on YouTube looking for videos about the car and found very little. The same thing happened when I'd search for other older luxury cars, so I decided to make my own videos and fill the void!

#13 ·
I see.
So you make videos and you share on social networks, right?
That's a very good idea, like a buyer's guide on our forum, but with images and sound.

Very great initiative indeed, and true, that is filling a void.
When I am on the way to purchase a car, I read a lot, and never would have come the idea to go an search for owners' videos. Now it will.

So good luck with your videos and keep on sharing with the community.

Jean-Louis

#14 ·
Pretty much! We've changed the format of our show quite a bit over the last 2 years, over the past 6 months we've adjusted to include the 3 basic principles for each video: Show off all the features that are relevant, take it for a drive and talk about the experience, then wrap it up with a short buyers guide. It's been working pretty well for us so far!

We upload the videos to YouTube, then share on places like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and enthusiast forums like this one. We just launched a new website to help build our credibility by writing articles to go along with our video reviews and blogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.