BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1994 C124 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
cc/isc module faulty ?

Hi everyone

I've got a problem with my 1994 Mercedes E320 (might be a 1993 since thats what it says on the throttle body)
the problem being that when in park or neutral the idle jumps between 600 rpm and 1100 rpm.

I have rebuilt the entire wire harness for the engine, rebuilt the wire harness for the throttle body, new gasket for throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks everywhere without any success, changed some vacuum hoses and fittings anyway and still the problem doesn't go away

error codes are on pin 8 :
4 : MAF (yes i have three of them and all of them a shot)
13: air-fuel mixture too rich or too lean

no error codes on pin 14

the thing is that when i put it in Drive or Reverse, everything is fine, idle is where it's supposed to be and everything
so I'm suspecting that the CC/ISC module is faulty, or can the MAF make such a difference in idle speed ?

one final note is that the Cruise Control doesn't work at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 93 400E, 95 320TE, 95 E320, 98 S500
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not having cruise is a serious indicator that the ETA is faulty. Remember, the bio junk wiring is also the wiring inside the unit.

Do you have any history on the OVP relay?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayare View Post
Not having cruise is a serious indicator that the ETA is faulty. Remember, the bio junk wiring is also the wiring inside the unit.

Do you have any history on the OVP relay?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
There is no traction control on it (which i think that ETA means) it doesn't even have the ASR throttle body, and the OVP relay is swapped out from my spare parts/donor E320 (same year different options on it) it was the first thing that was swapped out (also changed the fuse in it)

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
and sorry for double posting but i need to correct myself regarding your reply Jayare, the ETA is completely rewired with brand new wires, and the car runs fine otherwise, it's just the idle at park and neutral that is jumping around, and I was actually a bit afraid to test the cruise control after i rewired the ETA
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: '95 E320, 221k miles, fair cond
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
cc/isc module faulty ?

Normally you will get error code number 2 from pin 14 if your non-ASR CC/ISC module is faulty. But, your CC doesn't work too. This could be a faulty CC stalk.

Idle fluctuations in P and N without CC/ISC code could be the MAF, MAF wiring, intake air leaks, or your ECM. It does come up as an error from pin 8.

Also, error 13 from pin 8 indicates faulty fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator. Have you checked those?

http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/e2/1_1/m11.jsp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayare likes this.

Last edited by mercron; 05-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercron View Post
Normally you will get error code number 2 from pin 14 if your non-ASR CC/ISC module is faulty. But, your CC doesn't work too. This could be a faulty CC stalk.

Idle fluctuations in P and N without CC/ISC code could be the MAF, MAF wiring, intake air leaks, or your ECM. It does come up as an error from pin 8.

Also, error 13 from pin 8 indicates faulty fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator. Have you checked those?

STAR TekInfo

I do know that the MAF is bad, it give out WAY too high voltage, but it is still the same problem if i remove the cable from the MAF (which should make everything go to standard pre programmed values right ?)

MAF wires are new point to point

ECM has been replaced from donor car

intake has been checked all over (also replaced from donor car)

fuel injectors would make the car misfire (which it doesn't do)

fuel pressure regulator has actually not been checked
but i would suspect that it throws this 13 code due to the MAF giving WAY too high values, thus resulting in a way too rich or way to lean burn or am i wrong in suspecting that ?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

cc/isc module faulty ?

MAF is a possible candidate. It controls your fuel trim. Check FPR if leaking through the vacuum tube to the intake.

Easy way to check MAF is to unplug connector with engine running. If no change in idle fluctuation issue then that's the problem.

Last edited by mercron; 05-25-2017 at 12:43 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

cc/isc module faulty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought1666 View Post
I do know that the MAF is bad, it give out WAY too high voltage, but it is still the same problem if i remove the cable from the MAF (which should make everything go to standard pre programmed value

It looks like you pulled the connector already and no change - it still idles badly. No, pulling this connector will not reset your ECM programming. It will take 10-19 trips for the ECM to adapt to a new MAF.

My E320 is running fine and when I pull the MAF connector my idle hunts between the ranges you are saying. Looks like a bad MAF in your case, or leaking FPR.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1995 E320 wagon
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You cant fix an idle control issue with a fuel mixture that it outa wack becuase that will cause the engine to idle outa wack. No getting around this issue, the MAF has to be fixed or what ever is causing your AFR issues. Then if you still have an issue with the idle go back to the idle control. But the idle control cant control an engine that is too rich or lean, that alone will cause surging.

1995 E320 wagon <--Daily
1959 Austin Healey sprite <--Toy/project
1982 Olds Custom Cruiser LQ4 <--Dads beast/project
1974 Fiat X1/9 <--Moms toy

Im a Volvo nut with a german brick!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercron View Post
It looks like you pulled the connector already and no change - it still idles badly. No, pulling this connector will not reset your ECM programming. It will take 10-19 trips for the ECM to adapt to a new MAF.

My E320 is running fine and when I pull the MAF connector my idle hunts between the ranges you are saying. Looks like a bad MAF in your case, or leaking FPR.

thank you for the tip, will order a new MAF ASAP, will also check the FPR but I suspect it to be fine, since every single other rubber/plastic hose i've looked at has been just fine, this has actually been a year long project... wait even longer then that since I got that car in 2015, it's a VERY long story though, but the very short version of it is that i had to swap the engine cause it was cooked, and when that was done and i wanted to testfire the car well... lets just put it like this, that the ECM is not very happy when both terminals on the battery gives off positive energy, therefore i had to swap the ECM, later had to swap the ETA cause (in retrospect figured out that) an ASR ETA does not run on a non-ASR CC/ISC module, so basically i thought that maybe that's what fried the CC/ISC too however between the ETA & ECM & fresh battery swap and the start of the surging idle, it ran just peachy for about a week

Oh by the way.. have a look at this
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/..._W124_M104.pdf
if you scroll down to pin #8 and look at the page labeled 1 first it talks about fuel mixture and reseting that
on page 3 it is described how you do it, the question is though, does it still take about 10 trips ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocomman View Post
You cant fix an idle control issue with a fuel mixture that it outa wack becuase that will cause the engine to idle outa wack. No getting around this issue, the MAF has to be fixed or what ever is causing your AFR issues. Then if you still have an issue with the idle go back to the idle control. But the idle control cant control an engine that is too rich or lean, that alone will cause surging.
that is very true, I will fix the MAF, but it's almost starting to feel like the car is cursed or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.