Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Shift lever pointer modification

4K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  partnumber187 
#1 ·
A few years ago, I ran across (somewhere on the interwebs...) a shift lever modification that involved adding a lighted pointer that attached to the shifter and would point at your gear selection. It was a pretty neat idea, IMO. For the life of me, I can't find it now, and I have been searching for weeks. Does anyone know what I am talking about or remember it?

#3 ·

Yes, the base has lighting for the positions, but there is no pointer or anything for the lever itself. Someone had wired in an LED pointer that was attached to the lever itself. IIRC, he had done it in a way such that the LED was in a contrasting color and would cast light over the positions, effectively showing a different color for which gear you were in. For example, if you had white back lighting and the pointer were red, then it would cast red light over "D" or whichever position you were in, and the others would remain white. Does that make more sense? It's not a big problem or anything...I just remember being interested in the idea and was thinking about it again.

#6 ·
I have not either, but I still think it is strange that MB left out such an obvious feature and the idea of adding it was intriguing. To me it is more of an isue where it just seems like something is missing. LIke why bother lighting the numbers and letters, or even have them, if there is nothing on the moving part to point to them? Then again, this is the only automatic I have owned in over 30 years of driving, so maybe it is more common than I thought.

I think someone did that from a W140.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Perhaps that is why I can't find it...I was sure it was a W124. I'm also surprised that the W140 didn't even have a pointer. Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
I don't think I've ever seen a gated automatic shifter with an indicator anywhere other than the instrument cluster. On newer cars the gate is lighted and you can see where the lever is, but I thought the whole point was to be able to shift into gear sans overshoot by feel without looking.

#19 ·
Well that was fast. Across the country in a little over a day. Thanks, USPS!!!

Was in the same situation as you with money in PP at 2AM and found this on eBay for a very reasonable amount shortly after I posted the link to the instructions the other night.

The shifter rod is a nice update too. But I already have one.

#20 ·
Nice find! I didn't even think to go that route, but I don't think I can use any of the shifters that already have it anyway, since I have a diesel. Could have grabbed the parts from one, though, if the price were less than buying the parts.

I do find it interesting that other models had this and that our cars are "ready" for it, but MB didn't put them in. I mean, I know they were in more expensive models, but it's not like the W124s were cheap cars. The cost for MB at the time was probably $2 per car or something...lol!

#21 · (Edited)
I don't know if the shifter will work, but I don't plan on installing it. I'll just extract the parts for the indicator. I hoped to be able to use the gate with the cool Tetris block looking PRNDL, but unfortunately it doesn't look compatible with the existing shifter box. My original thought was to wait 'til I could find the parts in a JY, but removing that pointer from the shaft looked like more than $50 worth of work to me with the strong possibility of breaking it in the process.

To your other point, my car's a W201 so it's even more stripped down than your W124. Sticker on it was $34.5k in '92 which is not too far from what a new C-Class costs today. I like to add these little updates from newer or more upscale models where possible. The W202/210 shifter and steering wheel freshen it up quite a bit.

#26 ·
Thanks, also. The old thread I found with the parts info may have just slipped under the radar had I not seen this one that you started. Doing this again, I'd make a little shim out of electrical tape under the pointer rather than use the ziptie to keep it positioned correctly. Thought to do that at the time, but the c-clip was really difficult to get off with the part in situ and I was getting impatient. Not a big deal, would just make for a cleaner install than the ziptie. I'll redo it next time I'm in the shifter or REALLY bored - whichever comes first.

Here's another couple pics with the shadow of night rather than the hoodie I keep in the back seat.

FYI, the antenna switch isn't actually off-colored like that.

This will actually come in handy when driving in the hills in the night. I've definitely forgotten that I downshifted after I'm back on the surface streets, and I'm riding in 3rd or 2nd for a while. This should make it more more obvious at a glance. Def won't hurt.

#30 · (Edited)
I can probably answer any questions you guys have. There's really nothing to it other than what y'all have already seen.

The pointer I installed is slightly different than the one that Chuck ordered as it's for the shifter with the Z-shaped PRNDL.

On the stock setup, that black piece under the gate pushes over and shifts the light to the left when in the 4,3,2 positions. That's why my pointer had the spring at the bottom and the resulting play that required the ziptie to hold it straight.

The other gate has a straight PRNDL like so:

#31 ·
Oh, so the one I am getting (which will be here Friday, BTW) shouldn't require the zip tie or tape?

Also, I just realized that it looks like you did this without even removing the wood trim. Excellent! Is the top of the shifter assembly just clipped on? I haven't looked at it in awhile.

Thanks!

#32 ·
That's correct. Yours won't require the ziptie.

The trim ring pulls off, and the top of the shifter just clips on. The three clip locations are circled. You undo the top two and tilt the front up to remove the bottom one. But if you don't have a removable shift knob, you're gonna have to remove the shift lever to get the top to lift off. PM if you wanna swap those parts too while you're in there. I have spares.

I don't think you can get into the shifter of the W124 w/o removing the wood panel. In the W201 it was doable by tilting it up and sticking my hands in there, but for you I think the wood's gonna have to come out, hopefully not.

#35 ·
I did it, and it was mostly ridiculously easy. I was able to do it without touching the wood trim. Just used a little hook tool to reach down and grab the clips, popped the top, and got in with a wrench to undo the shifter. In the process I realized that this is an easier way to change the light bulb, too.

The only issue I had was something I created. The shifter assembly was a bit grungy, so I took the rubber boot off and cleaned it, and also took apart the indicator lens assembly to clean. That's where I ran into trouble and cracked the lens when I tried to get it unclipped at the bottom end. Being clean, it looks better cracked than it did dirty, but I guess I will have to replace that later. I didn't get a photo, but it was interesting to see that the lens assembly had the sport and economy selector indicator, but m it was just covered up for my model.

Anyway, as you can see in the pics, I cut the bottom out of the holder and it slipped right over the shaft. Getting the screw in and tightened required some patience, as I had to work with one of those small, ratcheing angle screwdrivers. There wasn't enough room for it to actually ratchet, so I had to remove it and manually ratchet it with each tiny turn. It worked out fine, though.

One slight disappointment is that I had to ditch my red LED. The fiber cable requires to pick up light from a bulb that emits light from the side, so LEDS are a no go since they only put light out the top. I just happened to have an incandescent that I had ordered for the vent lights. Would be nice to find one that is a little brighter. Still, it's a great mod and nice to see the change in positions. :)

Attachments

#38 ·
Congrats on the easy install. Sounds stupid, but that light is really damn fun to look at for some reason. The joy still hasn't worn off yet. I get excited every time I drive the car at night.

I put the correct frosted bulb for the PRNDL light on a parts order a while back and went back to the non-frosted because it was brighter and matched the intensity of the other switches better.

#39 ·
Sometimes it's the little things. I haven't driven in the dark yet, but I've still been enjoying the addition. It just seems so obvious and right to me. Now to get that center vent wheel light replaced...did the two outers today, but not looking forward to disconnecting the battery and losing all my stereo settings so I can remove the airbag and get to that light. Maybe tomorrow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.