Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

whats the correct technique?

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  oefvetw124lover 
#1 ·
Greetings Gents
how are you? I hope you, your families, your pets and your W124s are well.

please review the attached picture
whats the proper technique to getting the retaining clip back to the expansion tank ?
please advise
:|

feel free to bust my balls

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You're going to need a new retaining clip as one of ears on that one is missing. With a new one, a retaining clip pliers will make work easier.

Also, your coolant shouldn't be green like that. I hope that you're flushing it out to replace with pre-mixed Zerex G5 coolant, or concentrated G5 mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Hi,

if I remember correctly, this clip is maintaining the coolant level probe.
The probe goes into the coolant expansion tank through the hole just below the clip on your picture, and is locked by the circlip.
The clip is broken, you need another one.
And what you need to put it back is a circlips plier like this one https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Retai...6&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=circlips+pliers&psc=1

Hope this helps.
Jean-Louis

#4 ·
thanks guys
that was the old expansion tank
I was in the process of installing the new one
after that project is complete I will replace my old stock muffler with an OEM replacement
Thank god its spring,let the car projects begin

#8 ·
update : installed and GTG. next will be draining the coolant this weekend
and installing the replacement muffler.

#9 ·
Installed a new thermostat and the correct fluid
Car is running at about 100C.
Ordered a new Fan shroud.
Hopefully that helps to cool it down

#10 ·
Coolant level indicator

I know I'm a bit late for this discussion, but I replaced my coolant level indicator recently when it remained on even though overflow tank was well over the mark - the man said the old (original) one would be 'gunked up' (technical term) and a new one is not expensive so bought new one. (Old one was 'gunked up'). I tried to fit new one without circlip pliers. Tried everything and finally gave up and bought cheap circlip pliers from local hardware store. Did the job in a flash. Might not use the pliers again for a long time but they were worth the $20.

#11 ·
NEXT QUESTION
what is the proper technique to installing a fan shroud ?
I dont want to break anything

#15 ·
only thing left is the ASR light that happens to come on when it rains
my Passenger Fog light doesnt work
replace the Blower motor

Reactions: Jayare
#16 · (Edited)
guys
I have another question
the AUX fans - should they both come one? only one of my AUX fans engage (the passenger side fan)
I assume one is for the AC - is this a correct assumption (AKA a Fact)

#18 ·
Easy to diagnose by unplugging the fan power feed at the driver side frame rail, and applying +12V directly like from a jumperbox.

If both come on fans are good, and like the resistor behind the driver side headlight has bitten the dust. Very common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.