Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My "short term" and "wrong" fixes that have lasted

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
I keep a journal of all repairs I have done to my now four E320s since 2010. I have done many "wrong" fixes to them. When I shared these fixes, I received all kinds of ridicules, such as "bandage repair", "Wrong!", "Evil", "Idiot", "used toilet paper", you name it. Several years later, these repairs are still holding up nicely without issues. It is time to review these "wrong" repairs.

1. Rubber boots replacement for tie-rods and LCA, without replacing the whole thing. I did only the rubber boot replacement because the ball joint was still tight, and I did not want to spend money on alignment. It was done on 3-29-2013. To this date, no problem at all. This "bandage" repair is some super bandage. The rubber boot is made by Mercedes after all.

Since then, I have learned how to DIY alignment after tie-rod replacement (without spreader bar). Therefore, I now replace the whole tie-rod, with new Lemforder from Rockauto for less than $25 each (were on clearance) because the boot alone is $15. My cars stay straight and no uneven wear to tires. No spreader bar, no problem. The road test is the most important, not the spreader. The use of a spreader only helps to emulate the loading condition of actual driving. It is not a necessary condition for a good alignment.

2. Used water pump. I did this on 10-11-2013 with a confirmed nearly new water pump from LKQ for $10. Immediately got condemned as reusing "used toilet paper" for installing this used water pump. Still running like a champ. Of course, I had purchased several new water pumps for my other cars. Just happened to run into this used one.

3. OVP. Never purchased a new OVP. I tested them and picked them from LKQ. Armed with Hfmscan, I know exactly if a problem is due to OVP or not, basically a +12V supply problem to a few key components. When I wrote about not blindly replacing OVP to see the problem could be cured by luck but testing them, another storm was incited.

4. Dexron VI. Well known story. No need to repeat it here. I converted all transmissions to Dexron VI since 10-30-2014. "They will crash and burn!" "Stupid!" "MB never approves it" "Sun Valley says NO!" "The seal will crack and the clutch will be dissolved!" Thank you very much, no science supports those "rightful" claims.

5. Blown head gasket. Bought this green E320 in Oct, 2013 with known oil in coolant problem. With the latest magic bottle, no oil and smooth engine one month ago or 600 miles ago. Will see how long it would last.

6. Used radiator. A Nissens from LKQ. It lasted four years until leaks due to the blown head gasket to cause very high coolant pressure. Used a repair bottle to slow down the leak and was able to drive 80 miles back. Now with a new radiator.

7. Rebuilt voltage regulators. Instead of purchasing new voltage regulators ($30 each), I rebuilt five of them with new brushes for less than $2 each.

8. Used front and rear shocks. All four E320s are running on used struts and shocks. I tested them when I picked them at LKQ. I lost track how long they are in place, some are at least 4 years with 30,000 miles for sure.

9. AC evaporator repair with SuperSeal. Did that to two cars. One sold and one was done four years ago. Still good. Also used an used compressor from eBay in the same car, also four years ago.

10. Used parts vs new parts. I maintained my 4 E320s with a combination of used and new parts. My annual cost to keep them running is rather low. I would rather put in a good used part than a new Chinese-made part.

The latest is the nearly 30 items repair and replacement for the Special Edition just acquired. The new out of pocket expenses is about $800 plus $1200 purchase price for a new investment of $2000, about the price to fix a blown head gasket. The cost of my used part collection and my own labor are not included in the cost basis.

11. etc., etc., ....

In conclusion, I might be a recorder holder with the most threads initiated and then closed by the moderator, thanks to many MB righteous fans, in particular, those on my ignored list. If this thread gets closed again, my record would be further out of reach.

We often say "only time will tell" and now the time has spoken, at least to some extent. Many of us can reflect if the emotional outbursts at the time of discussion were warranted.

jftu105

See less See more
#5 ·
I have opened several cans of worms and the moderator kindly put a lid on many of them, when worms started to get frenzy.

I don't mind to open another. I don't object to people doing their "standard" repair only routine, but I don't see why these guys are entitled to shut down alternative and proven methods.

jftu105

#6 ·
....Used water pump. Never purchased a new OVP..... Dexron VI.... Blown head gasket....Used radiator..... Rebuilt voltage regulators.... Used front and rear shocks...... AC evaporator repair with SuperSeal..... Also used an used compressor from eBay in the same car
Quick, close the thread!!

Seriously dude what do you expect to achieve with these posts? Antagonism & attention seeking perhaps? Pretty sad. It’s your car – you do what you want with it that’s 100% cool. But to rub this in fellow enthusiasts faces at every opportunity is not required.

Miserableness & Mercedes Ownership don’t mix very well. Kind of like tap water, detergent & Oil wouldn’t you say?

#7 ·
Proven methods like

5. Blown head gasket. Bought this green E320 in Oct, 2013 with known oil in coolant problem. With the latest magic bottle, no oil and smooth engine one month ago or 600 miles ago. Will see how long it would last.
Why buy any car, let alone MB, with a bad headgasket when so many better examples are out there???

Better judgment dictates, not just mine, to always buy the very best example you can find and afford.

But you seem to be on a path of martyrdom by seeking out these basketcases of vehicles that all come with some serious problems, and then knowingly buy said vehicles thinking a soldering gun and some snakeoil will make it all like new.

You can't put perfume on a pig.

#8 ·
Up until I bought my 1995 E320 cab in September I had been into the vintage VW hobby for the last 12 years, specifically Karmann Ghias with a Beetle and Thing thrown in along the way.

I don't think you will find any auto enthusiasts that are bigger cheapskates than vintage VW owners. Much of what you are doing would be normal in the VW hobby and celebrated. However VWs always were inexpensive cars and tended to attract a certain mindset that I am guessing is different than the average MB owner.

Used parts are not necessarily bad depending on where the part is to be used...and how good the part is. I don't think I would use a used part for a safety item, for example.

FWIW as a newby here and to MBs I find your posts interesting.

#10 ·
6. Used radiator. A Nissens from LKQ. It lasted four years until leaks due to the blown head gasket to cause very high coolant pressure. Used a repair bottle to slow down the leak and was able to drive 80 miles back. Now with a new radiator.
jftu105

That must be SOME junkyard water pump! All the others on the face of the earth have a seal that vents at around 16lbs/sq in. I guess the coolant reservoir cap is welded shut too; those blow off at around the same pressure.

But then again, maybe there is so much stop leak in the system that the only thing this system can do is find the weakest joint/component and let 'er rip.

#13 ·
No, I don't have to ask for attention. I got enough attention from the MB snobs. I am fighting the ignorance based snobbishness and promoting logical and scientific reasoning in this forum.

I use quality parts, new or used, Period. Nothing I listed in my first post was low quality. They could be low cost, but never low quality.

Dexron VI is quality transmission fluid, much better than Dexron III. All the parts I put in my cars are quality parts. All repairs I put into my cars were well thought out and they have lasted for good reasons, not by luck.

jftu105

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.