Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

88 300te performance/economy

423 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Real1shepherd 
#1 ·
I've tried finding solutions to my problem in other threads but, my symptoms seem different.

Suddenly, my wagon's economy and performance has decreased. I'll bullet point the issues:

-Car always starts easily. When I first leave my house, with a cold engine acceleration is ok, but once I reach a stop sign about a mile away, things change. It hardly goes at all.

-Until my engine reaches full temp, acceleration is horrible, if I pump the accelerator pedal it will give me brief spurts of life. Once the engine reaches 80° it suddenly wakes up, although, performance remains less than before.

-occasionally, while idling, the engine shudders, sometimes dies. But, always starts back up easily.

It feels like a fuel delivery issue.

I hope that these symptoms ring a bell with someone. I need help.

#3 ·
Check the usual sensors; O2, the 3 temp sensors, duty cycle%, OVP, etc

For the car to starts easily on cold starts then loose power as it warms up & to get the power again on operating temperature, it sounds to me like you have a problem in the temperature sensors or O2 sensor.

The O2 sensors doesn't work properly or doesn't work at all until reaching its operating temperature, so the ECU uses the info from the engine temp sensor, knocks, & maybe another one until the 02 sensor starts working.

at what RPM sits your idle? when cold, warming up & operating temperature?

#7 ·
Had same issue here -- was EHA.

Car started fine, cold acceleration fell flat on its face, but when hot it was fine.

Maybe start by pulling EHA, and remove screw and give the Allen screw a 1/2 turn clockwise. Ultimately you'll likely need a new one, but it's worth a try first and reversible

#9 ·
EHA adjustments are gonna be tricky without a pressure gauge on the upper and lower FD test ports. But given everything else has been done correctly (what about plug wires?), read the long thread on adjusting the duty cycle.

Take off your ICV and shoot some carb cleaner in there until you hear it rattle inside when you shake it. Check those hoses carefully that go into the ICV. Do a propane check on all your engine vacuum hoses.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.