Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Re W124 Rust passenger door frame

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Real1shepherd 
#1 ·
Good afternoon folks!
I made the horrible discovery this arvo that my car have rust on the front passenger door, apparently its a very common place for rust to start on a W124
My question to the members here......
I need to remove the rubber that is on the outside (on top) of the door frame......
How the heck do I do that in order not to damage the rubber?
It really feels that it's buried deep and very securely into the frame.......
Just scared I'm gonna tear it to pieces.......

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Best cure for that is remove the door and pick another one up . Not that expensive . And if your lucky , you might find one the same colour. As a rule the doors are in good condition .Never seen one like yours befiore .. Rusts funny, and you can remove the rust, but it will return later on. I clean and treat my rubber door seals every time i clean my car . Mind over the pond W124 bits are over the top .And cost more every time i look on ebay . One item i loked at, was an ezl, and for £450 it would be yours ..Just a sign of short supply of secondhand w124 bits.

#5 ·
Re W124 Rust passenger door frame-----------Fixed!!!!!!

I managed with the help of a flathead screwdriver and W40 to remove the door rubber, mask the non-rusted areas off and clean the rust out with a Dremmel Tool.........
Was bit of a time-consuming job but I'm pretty much happy with the outcome!!

Attachments

#7 ·
How was the experience of removing the rubber as no one gave you useful advice on that? Did you just lift it out (all of it) or just able to lift off the top where it had th rust underneath.

This is my first posting and I have discovered the same problems, only on the rear doors. I have assumed it's stones flying up that caused it.

#8 ·
The rubber fits very nicely within a channel and there are no fasetners or adhesive. You can use a plastic scraper to piy it up in one spot. Once you have it started it usually just pulls out completely around the entire channel. If you are concerned about the rubber falling apart while you do this, you could start in a spot that is less of a problem, such as the points down the sides of the door.

#10 ·
Thanks very much indeed, both replies. By the way, I like this American word 'pry' . I understood it but I knew we said something different in English. It has come to me - 'prise (off)'. Almost the same thing. It's so interesting how language develops and changes.

If the door surround is like the boot (trunk) surround, then I suspect it will be a bit of a heave to get it back on but I now feel confident. One thing about rust on doors and boot lids and bonnets (hoods) is that they are not structural so they are not so worrying.

I have a hole under the screen washer that was revealed by bubbling surface paint on the wing (fender) where the wing meets the bumper. The bumper s hanging loose at that point.
Now that is worrying, and I shall be considering having a new piece welded in. At the moment, I am considering using metal mesh with fibre backed epoxy. I see there are many other threads on these issues and look forward to reading them.

#11 ·
Thanks very much indeed, both replies. By the way, I like this American word 'pry' . I understood it but I knew we said something different in English. It has come to me - 'prise (off)'. Almost the same thing. It's so interesting how language develops and changes.
Funny you should mention this. I was going to type "prise" but I thought it might be interpreted as if I am making fun of the language or trying to be insulting. For many years I was a fan of the TV show Wheeler Dealers. I don't watch it so much since Edd China left but that's a whole other story. One of the enjoyable aspects of the show for me is hearing the different terms used by you Brits. The list is long (and I encourage you to add to it):
Spanner versus wrench
Perished versus worn out
Respray versus paint job
Offer up versus install
Wing versus fender
Windscreen versus windshield
Boot versus trunk
Fiddly versus difficult
petrol versus gasoline

As a good friend of mine used to say; "The English and the Americans are separated by a common language" :)

#13 ·
I can also add "estate" instead of station wagon
"door cards" instead of door panels
"torch" rather than flashlight

And on a related subject, my Japanese friends refer to positive and negative screwdrivers. At first I was confused, but one look at the very tip and its clear which is which.

#14 ·
Since we're joking around with languages, when referring to wagons why not add Kombi (as in German speaking countries) or "break" (as in French speaking countries)?

That "break" thing threw me for a loop at the beginning when I got here in Europe. I was thinking more along the lines of "you broke what" and/or "you want to break something". LOL

#17 ·
We had a giant Hackney horse growing up that was actually owned by Bush himself of Budweiser (yes, he drove horses other than Clydesdales). The horse came with two carriages; a booster gig and a brake. The brake was very fancy with brass carriage lanterns, but you sat on top, not inside. It had formed benches that were enough for our whole family.

When I had Jags, I had the Bentley Workshop Manual. It was chock full of conversion terms. It was kinda fun back in the day using the British terms applied to autos.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.