Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can Head Gasket Cancer be cured without surgery?

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  sbaert 
#1 ·
For those who followed my blown head gasket saga, I want to provide an update since the miracle alternative medicine I took last time.

A brief recap. I acquired this 1994 W124 with just over 100,000 miles four years ago with known oil in coolant problem for $1500. Since then, I stupidly or steadfastly refused to replace the head gasket (doing the right thing?) but chose to remove the oil every several weeks and sustained several near death cooling system failures for about 40,000 miles. A few months ago, the symptom became so bad, it was no longer just oil in coolant (never huge amount) but the coolant now in the mixture, causing extremely rough idling, poor engine performance, and disappearance of coolant every 10 miles when the coolant light came on. it still started every single time.

Recognizing the doom's day had eventually arrived, I took a greyhound night bus overnight to Baltimore to bring back a 1995 E320 with 108,000 miles. The one with blown head gasket would be either a part car or a project car. Before ditching it for good, I threw in this magic bottle of Preston head gasket repair with Kevlar fibers. Within two minutes, the engine ran like new again, smooth and powerful.

Now, two months after the magic bottle and over 500 miles later, the engine is perfect (I drove both cars alternatively). Even more amazingly, I checked out the coolant condition today, first time after the magic bottle, in two months. NO OIL!!! I could not believe it so I did my old way of pushing in a piece of cloth from the coolant reservoir into the hose all the way down to the radiator bottom. After I pulled out the cloth, NO OIL!!! Unlike in the past, the cloth would be soaked with slimy and oily residues, now I got nothing.

Can this alternative medicine cure this head gasket cancer? Every day this engine is alive is a blessing and I will take it.

Now, my new theory about this oil in coolant issue. I know oil getting into coolant, then exhaust getting into coolant, then coolant gets into mixture, but never coolant into engine oil. For exhaust, mixture, and coolant passage, it must be the head gasket located between the combustion chamber and water jacket. For the oil into coolant, it could be the head gasket between the coolant pocket near the oil pocket at the back of the engine, as claimed by the W124 Bible.

The interesting question, how could this magic kevlar bottle cured both at the same time?

Could it be always one passage all along?

Whatever the answer is, I take this new NO OIL condition as a blessing and everyday is a gain even if it does not last.

jftu105

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
This sounds more of a case of being scared rather than being realistic. Only 2 ways to fix the real issue using nothing but brand new genuine MB parts (gasket kit, headbolts, chain guides and tensioner).

1) Either do it yourself IF you know what you are doing

2) Pay a qualified mechanic to do it for you who knows MB engines intimately

PeachPartsWiki: Head Gasket Replacement

#9 · (Edited)
You could be surprised how many short term fixes actually last, while the long term, cost no objective fixes do not last as long as you think and, sometimes, with complications due to wrong workmanship. After saving my 1995 Special Edition, I can see many W124s would have been ruined by improper "long term" fixes by shops. Not all technicians do good jobs but they all charge big money.

The purpose of this thread is simply to show my amazement of such a $12 magic bottle.

If someone, after reading my posts, could get a few hundreds miles of life out of such a "short term" fix until he or she is ready for a "long term" fix, my posts is not evil.

I will provide update if this fix fails. If you don't hear from me, it is doing just fine, 500 miles and going, as my daily driver.

jftu105

#10 · (Edited)
I hope my "improper" head gasket fix does not give an impression that I don't go for "proper" fix or only promote "improper" fix. Repairs based on MB instructions ONLY are no brainers, but not as interesting, and typically $$$$. In particular, many suggestions on this forum are "try change this part, or that, to see if it fixes the problem". OVP is the most famous example.

Safety, cost, and labor are considered for any of my fixes. And I want to know why in most cases.

There are many types of fixes for mechanical systems. Electronic fixes are usually simple, if diagnosed, by replacing some small parts. Mechanical fixes have many different shades and shapes.

Typically, if a metal part for strength or precision goes bad, I won't consider any fix other than replacing with a good working part (new or used). For example, ball joints, springs, brake rotor, cylinder, pistons, etc. I don't believe in any chemical fix for cracked cylinder heads or piston seal.

For metal parts used for fluid transporting which needs sealing, such as radiator, evaporator, I will try those chemical fix if the part is too hard to reach. For example, I fixed my AC evaporator with SuperSeal four years ago, and it is going strong. Evaporator is too hard to reach. I used a temporary fix to get home for a radiator leak but once I got back, I ordered a new one and replaced it right away. it is easy to get to and not too expensive either. I am not taking risk for coolant leak.

When a non-metal part fails, the repair could be many kinds.

For plastic parts taking up loads, I don't trust any of those fancy adhesive. I replace them, for example, those plastic arms used for real suspension. However, I will glue something back for the bumper or interior.

For rubber parts, tires could be fixed most of the time, but rubber boots must be replaced, same as hoses. I have replaced brake hoses for preventive measures, even I don't see cracks. I don't run on tires over 7 or 8 years old either.

For head gaskets, we have some metal, polymer, fiber, bonding agent, etc. Head gasket failure could be major or minor. In my case, there was a small passage. Will I try an "improper" fix if my engine oil turns into milk? Of course not! My car would be either a part car or a project car already.

For small passages through the head gasket, fiber, bonding agent, and hardener could help to plug the small passage, as in my case here. Head gasket basically is made of the same materials, after all. The same fiber, bonding agent, and hardener are still in the coolant and will plug it again if the passage is breached again. How long will it last? I don't know but I was amazed how quick and how good the fix is so far. In a way, it is similar to the plug used for fixing tires. For small holes, these plugs work basically permanently for tires.

Only time will tell and I get nothing to lose. Singleton way of repairs, following MB manual to the text, is boring to me. MB engineers made mistakes too; otherwise, we won't have this head gasket problem, engine harness, or transmission failure to begin with.

jftu105

#11 ·
I am a believer!! I have been following this "head gasket" thread(s) for quite a while. I have a 99 GMC Savanna full size van with the 4.3 V-6. Van has approx. 233k miles and I have owned it over 10 years. Used on occasions for hauling large items, trips to PnP, trash runs etc. It had an issue with starting so I found what sensor was bad and got that old gal rolling again. I did notice coolant was low, filled it and drove a couple times and noticed it was very low again. Wasn't the common stuff like bad hose or water pump and I could not see the source but notice it dripping down the side of the block. Took it to a small shop to get on a lift to find out the coolant was coming out of the head gasket. Well I bought this van 10 yrs ago for $2k with 192k miles and the shop said it was very difficult and expensive to replace the head gasket because it was in a van. Besides my investigation I really needed the van to move some stuff. I remembered following this event on BW and stopped by local auto parts store to get the "head gasket repair" stuff in the bottle. I looked at the Prestone product and asked the manager what he knew about this potential fix. He said the Prestone was new to his store and didn't have any feedback as per it's performance. He recommended another product that he said customers reported great results. It was $35 but on sale for $30. I read the label and it also contained "Kevlar" fibers. Well I had nothing to lose so I bought the bottle. I can't remember the name but it was in a bright neon green bottle. Large bottle and was enough product to do a much larger engine (cooling system). Read the instructions, looked up my coolant capacity and only used 1/2 the bottle. I have been driving the van on a daily basis for 3 weeks now. No more coolant leaks, radiator and expansion tank at the proper level, heater still works as it should. It fixed my van, Period!! I could not imagine better results, so how long will it last? I don't know and really don't care as I still have 1/2 bottle left in case the other bank of cylinders begin to leak.
My only other choice was to spend $1k to replace head gasket or dump this nice van and buy a pick-up or something else that most likely will need $$$ spent on that vehicle.

I am a believer! Mike

Reality is the majority of w124's are only worth $1-3k. So if your car is a definite keeper then spend the time and money on the proper head gasket repair and make sure you have another $2k saved up for the transmission as it may be next.

#12 ·
I had a black W124 M104 wagon with a blown head gasket. I was amazed at how well it continued to run but you couldn't drive it very long far it would spit oil on to the exhaust to the point it was about to burst into flames. I parked it for about a year with good intentions until the perfect white wagon came up for sale. I ended up selling it to pick n pull just to get it out of the driveway. I love W124's and for the right one they are worth saving but it has to be a love afair because you'll never recover your money unless it's a one off or something very special. If you love it and intend to keep it bite the bullet and replace the head gasket. If you're not a DIYer then find one that someone else has already dropped the money into. My current wagon came with about $24k in receipts and maintenance records. You've got to pay to play and they are great cars.

#13 ·
Apparently, head gasket failures also come with different shades and shapes. In Ilovemaui's case, it is heavy oil leaking to the outside, on to the exhaust manifolds. For this failure, I don't see any magic bottle would work. I also have oil leak to the outside, but not onto the exhaust, thankfully. I only need to top it up after several thousand miles.

jftu105

#15 ·
To even doubt if a person has the ability to guard his own economic interests, when it comes to W124s, is absurd.

This "short term" solution works so far for a good reason, but some of these MB parts only snobs cannot understand. Between spending big money or junking the car, I provide a third option, "short term" or not. Those responding with a condescending tone might have thought too highly of themselves.

jftu105

#16 ·
Disclaimer if you found this thread while searching for coolant leak, head gasket, or head gasket leak :

1. in the case of stop leak compounds, their use may clog the original problem leak however they also deposit themselves elsewhere such as in heater valves, heater cores, radiators, thermostats, hoses, etc. This makes subsequent repairs more difficult and actually can cause new problems that would not have occurred had a more conventional approach been taken.

2. short term solutions rarely are actual solutions. In this case the thread title implies there is a cure for a failed head gasket that does not involve replacing the head gasket. This is highly unlikely. One of the symptoms may have been addressed on a short term basis or less likely, on a permanent basis but the failed head gasket has not been resolved.

3. those who consider short term solutions usually have already concluded their vehicle has a short future or is expendable. This leads to the use of short term solutions for more and more problems as they occur and the decline of the vehicle becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Everyone has choices as to how to resolve their vehicle problems yet it is less than forthright and honest to use short term solutions while neglecting to disclose the use of short term solutions to unsuspecting buyers when it comes time to sell the car. This is why reliable mechanics, documented service history, and responsible ownership are what many people value when looking for a used car. In the end its your choice but you need to weigh both sides of the equation when considering a conventional and possibly costly solution versus an approach that has an abundance of downsides but has cheap initial cost.

#17 · (Edited)
Well put. In my book, snake oil is snake oil and at best you're covering up the infected wound with a band aid.

Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but permanent head gasket repair cream there is not.

Then again, the OP's reputation of using junk yard water pumps and brake pads as well as resoldering OVP relays is impossible to justify under any circumstance.

And I'm not even going to comment about the OP's preaching sessions on the virtues and benefits of Dexron6 without providing scientific proof that such use of non-spec fluid is actually beneficial in these cars.

#19 ·
Your comments are invisible to the OP for good reason. You're expressing highly personal opinions on a question that was never asked and isn't on the table. The OP has already decided he will not be pouring money down a black hole on the car. So the question becomes junk it now or junk it later. "Fix it right" is a hollow internet sentiment when it's not your money on the line.

#20 ·
Replacing a head gasket, either DIY or hiring professionals, is a standard or a well known solution. Repeating this well known solution does not make one look smarter.

Think about this: a $12 magic bottle, with some kevlar fibers, some bonding agent, and some hardener, which can be poured into coolant and fix a blown head gasket (not all cases), which was leaking coolant into combustion chamber and exhaust into coolant, within two minutes and has held up for over one month or over 500 miles now, still going strong. This fix has been put under tough test as I have driven this car, since the fix, on highway, hitting 80 mph or over 3000 rpm without reservation.

To me, this is some technical wonder. Sure, it is not the snobby type of right fix, but how can you not be amazed with such technical wonder?

We are talking about curing something that can sustain very high pressure at very high temperature at a dirty and impossible to reach area. It has to stay effective in a coolant in low concentration. Somehow, it would assemble enough fibers to block the head gasket passage, bond and cure themselves with minutes. It is doing all these while avoiding blocking the water pump, valves, and small tubes of the radiator and the heater.

Instead of appreciating such a technical wonder, some just keep bitching about "It is not a right fix." Damm it. The astronauts of Apollo 13 used duct tape to get back to earth. Tell them duct tape was not a right fix because MB has not approved it.

jftu105

#21 · (Edited)
This thread is starting to resemble a late night infomercial.

Let's see what the OP is going to be peddling in the next thread.

FACT: You can seal a radiator by pouring pepper into the cooling system, but I wouldn't recommend it.

FACT#2: MB was never a supplier to NASA, although we'd probably still be looking at the moon if it wasn't for German ingenuity.

#22 ·
I will say one thing . I to have a coolant problem .Dont know where its going to , but i top up the coolant after evert trip. At the moment i am looking for a 2$ fix .And i would purchase a bottle of snake oil . But the type in question is not in the shops over the pond . I would do the full head job if the cash was at hand,but its not. And i dont use the car that much . The car is worth more in spare parts, thats looking at the sales on Ebay.So i to will try the quick fix and take a chance ,.From day one i have had water problems First the little plastic ellbow on the radiator ,then a main watewr pump leak .Not long after a auxhilry pump leaking .I will stop the leaks if it kills me ,or the car.

#23 ·
...I to have a coolant problem .Dont know where its going to , but i top up the coolant after evert trip. At the moment i am looking for a 2$ fix .And i would purchase a bottle of snake oil . ....So i to will try the quick fix and take a chance ,.From day one i have had water problems First the little plastic ellbow on the radiator ,then a main watewr pump leak .Not long after a auxhilry pump leaking .I will stop the leaks if it kills me ,or the car.
Try the $0 fix. Grab the pepper out of the kitchen and dump it into the coolant and see what happens. Just don't be surprised if weird stuff happens, like a stuck monovalve.

#27 · (Edited)
The real lesson here is to abide by the saying "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes", i.e. $1500 basketcases that are a stone's throw away from ending up at the scrapyard.

I sold my '94 E320 wagon a couple of years ago for $4500. Took a while to find a buyer who did not question the asking price, but that car needed nothing. It had everything done, entire A/C system replacement, headgasket, wiring, the lot.

Of course, the other half regretted letting it go (she wanted to sell) not even 10 minutes later. I just said "I told you you would"

But there is enough supply that you should always get the best one you can get. Don't look at the price. Don't look at the miles on the odometer. Don't look at the distance. Look at the service records. And avoid trailer queens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.