Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W203 Coupe seats ina W124 Coupe

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  LeftCoastGeek 
#1 ·
Seems the dimensions are pretty close match.
Electrics may need some work.
Those hwo now me from here know this is an area of the W124 Coupe I have never really been fond of. I like hip hugging back support seating and the seats in the 300CE even reaprung feel a bit "comfy sofa" for me.
I have a line in some decent W203 coupe seats.

What say you has anyone done this excercise or similar ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Could ask - you refering width side to side etc ? The seat width is damn close

"...width at the widest part is 55cm and the break to the headrest is about 106cm"
which with my tape measure is almost cm perfect, if anything maybe narrower by 1cm.

Wondering even if they not perfect fit could rails from existing seat be retro fitted perhaps ?

#5 ·
No and thats part of myhope to resolve - its grey (not fav color for showing signs wear).

Heres what the rear looks like so far (two tone). Its really grown on me.
Next step will be card inserts black and probably center pull down cushion

Attachments

#6 ·
I'm curious to see how this turns out. I've got a '95 Cab that currently has a grey interior that is trashed and I'll need to replace it. Would be nice to know what other options I have other than another 124 coupe or cab.

#9 ·
I went from a W124 400e to a CLK500. While the new heated/cooled seats have nice touches, I don't think that they are as comfortable.

After a long drive in the CLK my back hurts, no matter how much I fiddle with the seat controls. I'm pretty sure the crucial FTB and FTT measurements are higher on W124 too. (Floor to Butt and Floor to Thigh)

And as has been mentioned, I think W203 uses front SAM unit or seat control unit. Having a switch control a motor is just too obvious for MB. A switch tells a control unit that you want to move a certain thing, the control unit then turns on the motor to do so.

As a result, there are a couple movements of my seat that move headrest while I move something else, I then have to move headrest back via it's control.

#11 ·
And as has been mentioned, I think W203 uses front SAM unit or seat control unit. Having a switch control a motor is just too obvious for MB. A switch tells a control unit that you want to move a certain thing, the control unit then turns on the motor to do so.
on long drives, I like to slightly vary the angle of the lower cushion every so often, so power seats are a nice luxury.

the problem is, with 5 seat motors (fore/aft, front up/down, rear up/down, back fore/aft, and headrest up/down), you're looking at like 10 wires if you do it discretely, plus ground or power, and if those switches are driving the motors directly, all 10 of those wires have to be heavy enough gauge to carry the motor power, and they run from the door down the frame, and up to the seat.. with microchips, its easier to put a little embedded processor in the switch panel, then just use a signal wire to send digital commands to the seat power module which is located close to the seat. also makes seat memory a lot easier so you can have saved settings for different drivers....

I have to say, I prefer Volvos approach, at least on the 740/940/850's I've owned, the seat controls were right on the side of the seat, so only power and ground had to run from the car to the seat, all the motor wiring was internal under the seat.

#10 ·
Thanks for that - yes I am thinking find someone who is wrecking nd buy seat covers off them.
Maybe even buy some grey ones and send them somewhere tpo be professionaly dyed black.
Sigh I had big hopes for modern comfortable seats.

If only someone would take pity and send me some Recaro C's Hahahahahahahaha

#12 ·
Yes indeed hence Recaro C would be perfect. I believe SAAB Aero seats are the right dimension but finding good ones and then fitting is another matter

#13 ·
I've seen a few photos of folks who fit Recaros or other seats onto the lower frame of the mercedes seat. the mercedes fore/aft and up/down power still functioned, but the seat back tilt angle was a manual knob on said other seat. IMHO, thats not a bad combination.

#14 ·
Yeah thats not a bad idea - really its only forward backward and tilt that get used. Once I have recline set I rarely screw with it.
You can buy Recaro SR5 seats for a reasonable price, shame they have "highlight stitching" but I guess you could just color that black as well Hahahaha

Car seat Car seat cover Vehicle Car Family car
Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.