Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Drivers door, overhead light doesnt work

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  humblejoe 
#1 ·
I think when I had the panel off a few months ago that I shorted the puddle light and when I open my door the overhead light doesn't come on anymore.

I remembered member real1shepherd saying the IC inside the overhead light was to blame. Well, I replaced that with known working one from partscar and its still out. Anyone have any insight? Does the lighting relay control any interior light functions or is it something else. Other option is the door switch, which I can swap from parts car as well.

Thanks

#4 ·
Passenger works.
I thought I checked the switch which is what brought me to replacing the overhead unit.

I'll be checking the switch tonight. I know it was getting power, cant recall if anything was leaving the switch though.

#6 ·
Why cant I try the simple stuff first...I think I should stop reading before engaging brain and thinking...memory seems to dictate I did use Multimeter on switch and it worked. But I've learned that my memory is not the best at remembering past events...

I'll swap with parts car and see how it goes.

Reactions: Jayare
#8 ·
Yes I have the overhead switch correct. The passenger door turns lights on, just not the drivers door. So something along the drivers side circuit is messed up.

I swapped a switch from partscar, which worked just fine last month, ......no luck.

I even swapped the lighting relay thinking..."lighting" ...why not.....no luck

I will have to wait for the resident electrical pro's Flooby or WCG to comment on the next place to look.

#10 ·
I get 12v to switch, so it has to be something after the switch.

I really think I fried something taking the panel off and the puddle lights shorted something. That was when the overhead light stopped working.

Wonder if the puddle light is a ground screw or wiring. If wiring, then that loom ay have an issue as it runs through the door jamb.

#12 ·
Thanks Nova, I swapped in a known working switch and still no dice though.

Maybe the 124performance site has needed diagrams. I think that's the only way I'll figure this out.

#14 ·
This is a pretty common problem on the W124. When the driver's puddle wire lights short out, it fries a trace on the seatbelt warning relay (behind the instrument cluster, mounted on the firewall). THe result is no dome light operation when the driver's door open, and no warning buzzer when the headlights are on and door is open.

Attachments

#15 ·
Found the Relay, it was buried, and that bracket was a pain to remove!
I'll post if for some odd reason this doesn't fix it, when I install.
(just pulled from partscar today)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.