Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Valve train still clean after 228k miles

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mercron 
#1 ·
I replaced my valve cover gasket today and was amazed at how clean then valve train and camshafts are even with 228k miles on it.

My valve cover though is another story. The coating was peeling from the magnesium body. I'm just glad that there weren't a lot of peeling inside.

I bought a Victor Reinz gasket from eBay plus the 12 rubber grommets from another supplier. I didn't need to put any sealant and I actually had to scrape off some sealant residue near the front where there was a slight leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I got the car a year ago with 214k miles. I don't know what it had prior. According to the original service records that stopped 15 years ago, it had 20W-50 oil.

So far I've put Chevron Delo 15W-40 for 3,500 miles. I now have Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in it for the last 200 miles and will use synthetic from now on. I'll change oil and filter every 6 months or 6000 miles.

#5 ·
Just wondering. Thanks.

Be careful with the switch over to synthetic. As much as I like it and run it in my M119s I use Dino in the M103/M104s. At this stage of the game, frequent Dino oil changes have been good to your engine so you might be risking new leaks with no tangible benefit.

Reactions: mercron
#6 · (Edited)
Just wondering. Thanks.

Be careful with the switch over to synthetic. As much as I like it and run it in my M119s I use Dino in the M103/M104s. At this stage of the game, frequent Dino oil changes have been good to your engine so you might be risking new leaks with no tangible benefit.

Thanks, I'll observe how the T6 does with the new valve cover gasket and see if there are no leaks. In any case, cheap Delo 15W-40 is readily available and it's easy to change via the oil dipstick with a hand pump every 3,500 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.