Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1991 300 ce head gasket!

788 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tuttebenne 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a reputable place to order a head gasket and studs from. I recent;y purchased a 1991 300 ce Inline 6 3.0 gas for a very good price of $200 but the head gasket is out and the radiator has a leak in one of the tanks. Does anyone have any leads? I live pretty far from any benz dealers so its tough!

Also, any advice on starting/ finishing this project would be great!

#6 ·
The oil is mixed in the coolant, oil seems to be in good shape but the coolant is a mess. I ended up ordering a few things from autohaus, pelican and got a 12 point socket to take the heads from amazon. WHat about the timing chain, how to I go about removing the tensioner and are any special tools required for that?

Thanks for the recommendation on a parts!

#7 ·
Steven,

I don't know how many miles are on the motor so that would be helpful. Presuming the head hasn't been off before, (and even if it was), the head bolts are reusable if they fall within the factory tolerance. They stretch by design and usually are well within the tolerance and you can save a few dollars by reusing them. I have done this job twice on my M103s - once I used new bolts because I thought it was necessary, and on the second car, since they were well within tolerance, I reused them. Funny thing; the engine I used the new bolts on needed another HG change within 40k miles and the other has been fine for over 50k since doing the HG. Not saying the new bolts caused the leakage; just that they didn't prevent it. :)

Andy

#8 ·
If I can remember right it is a 17mm hex socket. I think. The tensioner is a reset, you remove it by pushing it through and clean it real good, oil it then push it back through again. There is notches that click inside as pressure pushes it against the chain. Very easy to do. Just dont put it back like you took it out. Must pull it through and let it start over through the tube it sits in.I did this a few years ago, on my 3.0L M103.

#9 ·
^This!
You can wrap yourself up really well if you don't understand how to reset the tensioner. The chain will not go back on if its incorrect. Great point MichaelBenz300e!

I haven't done an M104 head but suspect it has at least one chain guide dowel that will have to be dealt with. Maybe another member who is familiar with the M104 can clarify whether or not the OP needs to be prepared to pull a dowel and how this is most easily done with regular items found around the workbench (ie without a special tool).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.