Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meanwhile in Sweden

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  M-Cedes 
#1 ·
[ame]https://youtu.be/_7Yo1_u9M9w?t=413[/ame]

#2 ·
As I lived in Sweden for a year in 2016, this Turbobandit rape of Sweden's pristine air is a horror to see.

Burning tires produces dioxin, a potent cancer triggering toxin. It should not be encouraged.

All the smoke was due to that they send so much power to the real tires in high torque and low speed (rear wheel drive car in this case) exceeding the tire traction limit. There extra torque therefore is causing the tire to slip, marking the ground and the slipping burns the tire. The acceleration of the car is therefore traction limited despite abundant of engine power, the purpose of this 1000 hp turbo kit.

I hate it when the air is raped in such a terrible way.

jftu105

#5 ·
The purpose of that turbobandit video by burning tires was to show off its 1000 hp power. All that power won't turn into traction or acceleration unless your tires can match it. If you see the tire burning, you know a large part of your awesome engine power turns into heat and dioxin, not used to produce the acceleration you want.

I am not against boosting your engine power if you can afford it. Just make sure your tires have enough traction to match it. Regular tires have about 0.7 to 0.8 static friction coefficient limit (unlike those F1 race tires without treads), which means that you can at most get 0.7 to 0.8 g acceleration even with 2000 hp engine power. If you don't have all wheel drive, the acceleration gets even lower.

I am against this video of fouling the air and thinking it is cool. It is totally unnecessary.

I recycle the engine oil and coolant at Advanced Auto. My engine runs within the spec, according to Hfmscan. Yes, I have oil leak, as millions other cars, but I don't lose one qt per 1000 miles, more like 1/2 qt per 5000 miles. I use a lot of used parts from junkyards. I am not an environmental king but at least I don't abuse it for cool factors.

We pollute our air and our land every time we drive our cars, but it is a totally different matter when someone intentionally rapes the air, thinking it is cool.

jftu105

#22 ·
The purpose of that turbobandit video by burning tires was to show off its 1000 hp power. All that power won't turn into traction or acceleration unless ... I am against this video of fouling the air and thinking it is cool. It is totally unnecessary.jftu105
it might not be legal, but it sure is fun, ain't it?

#8 ·
Engine power of 1000 hp does not mean you will burn your tires or has terrible exhaust to fail inspection. The actual power you consume depends on how you drive. At idling, you probably use only a small fraction of the power. At normal driving, you would be using only 10 to 20% of the 1000 hp.

All I said is that if you pay for 1000 hp, you may not get the thrill of 1000 hp because your tire traction is limited. When you push down your gas pedal, your tires will spin, not accelerating forward, when you exceed the traction limit. If it rains, it gets even worse because the friction coefficient will be only 0.3 to 0.4, instead of 0.7 to 0.8. You can lose control of your car if you push down the gas pedal too hard to cause spinning.

The 1000 hp power will allow you to overcome the wind drag so that you can maintain a very high cruising speed, if speeding tickets are not a problem.

However, you can never accelerate higher than the traction limit with tires. Acceleration and speed are two different things. Physics does not lie.

jftu105

#10 ·
Poor guy has never been to an NHRA event, much less a tractor pull.

Though those are not my favorite events, I rather enjoy car people doing what they want with their vehicles.

I plan to enjoy cars and airplanes and not worry at all about the way other people do the same. And I'm gonna keep owning shares of Exxon so I can benefit from all that fun, recreational use of petroleum by fellow gear heads.

#16 ·
Obviously motorsports is not in jftu105's repertoire. Without motorsport and the derived technology that trickles down to the consumer level, we'd all still be driving Model T's.

As far as the environment goes, IMO the planet was screwed when the first dinosaur took a dump in the woods.

#17 ·
Going by recent posts on this thread & others I think jftu105 is showing himself up as a bit of a wind up / troll. Perhaps he should be given less attention

As for Turbobandit I think its commendable that these guys have turned their enthusiasm into a real business offering off the shelf Turbo Kits for our w124’s. For that I thank them! I really like their cars and videos – it’s light hearted & FUN!!! I will be ordering a TB80 or 90 Kit soon hopefully for a 3.6 m104 :)

#23 ·
Sure, it is fun as long as you are not behind that burning tire car. As I said, if the video shows off the super high speed the 1000 hp can offer at autobahn, it is more fun to me. Here is a link to the a fire disaster at a tire factory. People had to be evacuated.

jftu105

#25 · (Edited)
^Here, here. Now that the 8 year student sit in is done, time for some serious redecoration.

In my book, the Kyoto Protocol will always be nothing more than the name of a new sushi spot in town.

Global warming is just part of the planet's wash, rinse and spit cycle. Nothing more.

Example: The river Nile has frozen over twice in the past (fact not theory), and that was well before the idea of the combustion engine popped into someone's head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

#26 ·
As I read thru this thread I kept looking for a "dislike" icon/button to click on. This makes Forrest Gump look like a genius.

#28 · (Edited)
I have never been in the CO2 being the evil of all global warming camp. While hell with the global warming crap, it is also hell with the ignorance crap.

If you don't like my post, feel free to put me on your ignore list and announce it to the forum as a replacement for the dislike button.

Cheap fun like burning tires is just not necessary. Trump supporters do not have to be intentional and ignorant polluters! The ignored people do not have to be ignorant people. Go ahead to breath in those dioxin to have fun with your life! Do it as you mean it, not just wish others to suffer from dioxin.

My ignore list keeps growing and I don't mind to add more or to be added to others'. If there will be a call to remove me from the forum, please do so. I would welcome it.

jftu105

#29 ·
After one year in Sweden and not posting and reading the forum, I came back to find the forum has grown more intolerant. When I posted what I did, not in the formality of the Mercedes "purists", I was ridiculed by some with name calling. When I expressed my dismay with this cheap fun with unnecessary tire burning, the fallouts are even worse. Suddenly I am an environmental lunatic, universally condemned in this forum.

Feel free to condemn me more because I would like extend my ignore list so that I don't have to read those comments with little value to me. I almost doubled my ignore list from this thread alone. The more the merrier.

jftu105

#31 ·
My posts on this thread were never intended to denounce tjts1 for posting this video. This video of Turbobandit could be fun but as a person who rode bicycle for a year in Sweden, enjoying the absolute pristine air there, I was horrified to see they burned the tires even in town, in traffic, with other cars and people around, thinking it was a harmless fun.

My first post responding to this video only expressed my personal displeasure toward tire burning, plus some simple science about the undeserving value of excessive engine power. I never direct it toward tjts1 or any others. I did expect people like SB* to BS and trash me, but I did not expect so many would call me names simply because I don't like tire burning. SB* has been on my ignore list and I always wonder why he won't do the same and put me on his. I don't read anything he writes but he sure expresses his hatred toward me by bashing most of my posts. Why? Put me on you ignore list, please, SB*!!!

Yes, you can like tire burning and why can't I dislike tire burning? I don't back down from any comments I consider as bullying.

With this, I am done with this thread. I hope turbobandit sees this discussion and showcases their turbo kit in a less harmful way. They can burn the tire in a race track for a few minutes and show off the awesome speed they can achieve. Spewing all that dioxin through a town and traffic, without considering the harm to the receiving ends, is not something to cheer for, IMHO.

If you want to attend a tire burning event, knowing fully what you are going to get, that is your personal choice. But, why should I be subjected to dioxin because someone would like to have some fun? Why am I not allowed to say that I don't like it in this forum?

jftu105

#32 ·
This has turned into OT thread. I would think that reasonable individuals would realize that an individual who built a very powerful turbo charged M103 just doesn't go around boiling the rear tires off at every opportunity.

Nuff said or I can easily move this entire thread to the argument section.

#34 · (Edited)
If my posts help to convince owners of the turbo kit to avoid burning tires in places where it could cause harm to others, I am happy. However, if the inventor of the turbo kit is showing it off by doing it harmfully with all the cheering, reasonable individuals would think it as perfectly reasonable. In fact, almost everybody who responded to this thread thought it perfectly fine. Not to mention that when you burn your tires, you can lose control of your car, hitting into others.

A dissenting opinion should not be subject to unreasonable ridicule the way I have been subject to in this forum. To me, this is another important issue to address, perhaps more important for the moderator.

jftu105

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.