Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can you name this engine from the picture?

13K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 · (Edited)

All I know for sure is that this car I'm supposed to be buying is a Euro stick shift 5-speed with this shift pattern:

The trunk lid badge is what the guy marketed the car as, and it doesn't match the year he marketed it as. He said he thought the car was a four cylinder despite marketing it as a model number that would be a six. For the year he marketed it as, 1992, it seems the only 4 cyl 5-speed is a m102. But the trunk lid says e320. A 320e would be a 3.2 m104, but that fan shroud looks a little long in my opinion for this to be a straight 6.

Does anyone have an opinion? Or know what that engine is?

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah. I've been on automobile-catalog.com and the EPC and it seems it must be a 1993 220e or 200e.

Unfortunately in order to get the seller to respond, I decided to just go ahead and pay for the car and uphold my end of the bargain.

Now that I know what trans and flywheel are in use here, it seems I won't be able to use this with the m104 I have in the 1993 300se w140 I own. So... bummer. I was really hoping it was a 320e as it was advertised. Womp womp. :(

#12 · (Edited)
Now that I know what trans and flywheel are in use here, it seems I won't be able to use this with the m104 I have in the 1993 300se w140 I own. So... bummer. I was really hoping it was a 320e as it was advertised. Womp womp. :(
You can use the trans on your 300se, it bolts up along with the shifter and pedals but you'll need to find another flywheel or modify the one it came with.

#6 · (Edited)

Here's all I've got. I have paid, but think I will probably try to back out since the car has no title (as expected since it was in salvage section), and is 6 hours away from me, but really it's because it's not an e320 as advertised.

P.S. Thank you all very much for your assistance. The m111 is newer than any MB engines I've ever dealt with. Newer ones with manual transmissions are very intriguing, at least the big motor ones. This one sounds pretty small with the 130-150hp.

#8 ·
That vacuum pipe is not the purge circuit! That's the vacuum pipe to the MAP sensor (which is why some versions of these engines didn't have a MAF, they had either MAF + MAP or just MAP). And yes, it's a M111, to my knowledge, all the 2.2 liter engines had a MAF (sold in EU/NA), so this might be a 2.0 or a 1.8

#9 ·
My knowledge tells me it is a E200/200E, not E220/220E.
The main difference of the E200 (M111.940) is ----- it comes without B2/5 (AIRFLOW SENSOR) which HFM relies on.

And also I believe the smallest M111-series engine on the W124 chassis is 2.0L.
That is why it won't be a M111.920 (i.e. W202 C180 1.8L) which is quite common in W202 chassis.

#11 ·
Automobile-catalog.com shows the 200e and 220e as the only 5 speeds in 1993 with 4-cyl I think. The 200 I may have been confusing with a diesel though. Either way, I'm guessing that I don't really want this one, even though someone has already asked me for the pedals.

#17 · (Edited)
Thats no 6, thats definitely a 4.

Looks like a 2 liter M111.940 - E200 not E220. Absence of MAF sensor as well. 136hp

It is interesting the difference over the 2.2 which employs a MAF:

From wiki:
  • It is a speed-density type of system, as mixture formation is dependent on RPM, TPS angle, and manifold pressure (MAP).
  • Injectors work in pairs (idle, part load), or altogether (full-load).

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/100445/swap-merc-w124-e200

#18 ·
Thats no 6, thats definitely a 4.

Looks like a 2 liter M111.940 - E200 not E220. Absence of MAF sensor as well. 136hp

It is interesting the difference over the 2.2 which employs a MAF:

From wiki:

• It is a speed-density type of system, as mixture formation is dependent on RPM, TPS angle, and manifold pressure (MAP).
  • Injectors work in pairs (idle, part load), or altogether (full-load).

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/100445/swap-merc-w124-e200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzdtN6aqcg

Man... your making me think I should have tried to restore it. Over 30 mpg with a gasser auto. Maybe it really would be crazy high mpg with the manual trans.

And that fuzzy shifter boot!

#23 ·
So eBay sided with the seller despite me clearly stating that the car is not an e320 as advertised, but an e200. eBay doesn't seem to care, and seem to think it's fine for sellers to do this. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, but it seems I'm going to have to take a 6-hour-each-way trip to go fetch this non-running, no-title misrepresented pile. :(

The seller offered me a partial refund of $250. That seems like some nerve.

I wonder if I should post his address. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.