Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replaced the idler arm bushing . . .

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  E320Project 
#1 ·
I replaced my idler arm bushing this evening and had some interesting results.

My idler arm didn't have any play, but the steering hasn't felt right since I've owned the car. Generally, the steering feels heavy, but there seemed to be more free play when the wheels were turned a quarter turn to the right. All the front end components had been replaced (not the steering box, which was another theory). I also had a creak while turning the steering wheel. But no knocking, which seems to be the typical symptom of a worn bushing.

I get the car on the lift and check again for play - there isn't any. But I already have the bushing kit, so I figure I might as well replace it. I'm thinking I am wasting my time and $30. I remove the old one and it looks fine - definitely replaced at some point. The rubber was a little hard, but other than some surface rust, looks similar to the new one. I put the new one in and torque it to spec.

I drive home and notice the steering feels lighter (in a good way) and doesn't seem to wander. The creak is gone too. Stranger still, the whole front end suspension doesn't seem as harsh - something that had perplexed me given how that all the components are new.

What gives? My theory is the old bushing/bolt was over-torqued and that created the heavy steering. Maybe the bolt was a little bent too? But I'm having a hard time figuring out why it feels less harsh as well. Maybe there was some binding in the steering linkage?

I don't know, but it may be the best $30 spent so far and it was on a part that didn't even look like I needed to replace it. I'm thinking proper torque may be pretty important when replacing that bushing.

See less See more
#3 ·
That must be it. The harshness was beyond just feeling it in the steering wheel, or at least my perception of it was feeling it through the whole chassis. Pleasant surprises are nice and somewhat rare on a 20 year old Mercedes.

On another note -

Several posts talk about cutting off the bolt and re-installing it upside down because the bolt hits the exhaust. Other posts point out this isn't necessary - and it isn't. Once the nut is off, you just push the bolt up to the exhaust, then you tap out the upper bushing with the bolt in place. Once the upper bushing is pushed out, the bolt can easily be manipulated out around the exhaust. No need to turn an easy 30 minute job into a 2 hour job!

#4 ·
I been hearing about this idler bushings being part of a solution to steering wander which Im experiencing lately, but I cant seem to find a picture to pinpoint its location.

Yes, I replaced most of the front end components except for the springs. Wheel alignment with new tires, but going on uneven tarmac surfaces, it wants to pull to sides pretty bad.

Reviving an old post again.

TIA

Lou.

#5 ·
The idler arm bushings are in the metal tube where the tie rod and center link meet (passenger side).

If you do replace these, don't make the mistake that the OP made by buying that $30 UROPOS. Those will last 1 year at most. Get the MB bushings and be done with it. You'll have to get another wheel alignment after replacing these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.