Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wiper motor question

887 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  E320Project 
#1 ·
My wiper motor seems to have finally **** the bed. It's on my 94 E320 wagon. It looks like that year uses both the Bosch and SWF motors. It has been a few months since I had it out and can't recall which one it is from memory.

If I take the cover off the wiper, the wiper transmission is clearly marked Bosch. Can I assume I also have a Bosch motor? I understand the SWF is sometimes retrofitted, but I don't recall see anything that looked like the wiper had been messed with before. I'm trying to avoid pulling the wiper before ordering a the new part. Worst case I could order both and return the one that doesn't fit, I suppose. Thanks.

#3 ·
I haven't checked by VIN. Is there a parts website that lets you do this or you talking about providing the VIN to a dealer?

I'm off work tomorrow and may just yank it. When it finally crapped out, I could hear the motor still humming, so I am a bit worried it's the transmission. But I wanted to order the motor ahead of time. I had previously lubed the transmission, although without taking it apart. So I probably need to get in their and see what's going on.

A new wiper transmission will definitely have to be second hand - I hear they are super expensive. The motors don't seem that bad ($70-120).

#7 ·
Yeah, it's available in small quantities. I found mine at a local raceboat shop in spray can. The grease sets/forms upon contact and exposure with air and metal surfaces. You should clear the old crud off before applying though.

#8 ·
ah, ok, marine places, no problem, we have a yacht harbor here in Santa Cruz, with all the usual boating businesses, as well as West Marine (their world HQ is near here, this is where they started).

and, for sure re cleaning. that PDF I linked a couple posts ago is a reasonable reference, isn't it?

this is a project I'll need to undertake sooner or later, the wiper on my 1990 2.6 in particular is getting funky, and stumbles some... seems to be worse when its cold/wet out than in dry/warm weather. I suspect its got electrical issues too, as the intermittent wipe mode doesn't work at all sometimes, and other times only sorta works. when intermittent isn't working, high speed doesn't work well at all, either, its slower and more hesitant than low speed, go figger. yes, I have all brass/copper Flosser fuses.

#10 ·
I took the motor/assembly out and confirmed it is a bosch unit. The transmission seems to be moving freely, so I'm hoping the new motor will solve my issues. I am a bit pinched for time, so I picked up a reman unit from Autozone. Wasn't much cheaper than just buying a Bosch unit, but this will have to do as I couldn't wait several days to get a Bosch from one of the usual vendors. I should be able to get it in tomorrow. The cold and wind is a bit extreme right now in N. Virginia, so I will wait for daylight and slightly warmer temps tomorrow.

#11 ·
The replacement motor is in and the wipers are working as they should on all speeds. I still have the original motor and I may just eat the $15 core charge and tear into the motor. I'm sure it is just some worn/burnt brushes. I might even be able to repair it myself and have it as a spare.

I am kicking myself for not doing this earlier. I've been trying to avoid spending more on the wagon, but wipers are really something that need to work properly. And, frankly, it was annoying and downright embarrassing having them keep sticking. I've seen motors for under $75. That's pretty cheap given the amount of use you get from your wipers. Live and learn I suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.