Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mystery starter issue for my 89 300CE

468 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tuttebenne 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Help! I do not know if this is a common issue for my model and year but my mechanic and I have been unsuccessful in solving this issue. The car would not start if left un driven for more than 2 days. OR sometimes it would start but then would not start later that day and a 15 minutes wait is required before it would start. We have replaced so many parts hoping that we got the "right" part but no success so far.

Anyone that can shed some light on my car's starter issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

#2 ·
I copied your thread to the W124, the correct forum for your car.
Click on Forums on top left, and scroll down the index shown on the left to W124.

Welcome to the forum.
You need to provide more info:
Does the starter turn over, or sometimes just click? Condition of battery, and how many volt it puts out? Parasitic battery drain?
If it just clicks. the starter solenoid is too worn the get the bendix gear to engage on the ring gear.
Sometimes the issue is not at the starter, but the neutral safety switch (on side of tranny). Try shifter on 'N' to start. Issues can also be caused by improperly adjusted or loose gear lever linkage.

Please complete your profile with car mod and location.
Daimler Benz sells same model/chassis cars with varying specs in different parts of the world, so to get the correct advice on an international forum location can be important.

Attachments

#3 ·
Dojohn,

Welcome to the 124 section of Benzworld and thanks for posting your question. If you would take a few minutes and follow the suggestions of Teutone, if would benefit you greatly.

Please list all the parts your mechanic has thrown at the problem so we don't spin our wheels suggesting something that has already been addressed.

Help us help you and again, welcome.

Jayare

#4 ·
The info from Teutone and Jayare are spot on. Also if you could explain the problem in more detail it would help. For example, when you say it won't start, there are multiple functions that all need to come together for the car to run; knowing how the engine is responding when you turn the key will help eliminating some of them. So when you try to start it, does the engine crank (turn over) when this problem is happening? Or do you just get a "click" sound or no sound when you turn the key to try and start it?

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.