Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

4Matic 300TE manual transmission swap?

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sbaert 
#1 ·
I have a 4Matic 300TE that I would love everything about, except I hate driving automatic. I'd love to do a manual transmission swap.

I have access to a transmission from a 190d, will this work, or is there an easier transmission to swap in? Any other pitfalls I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

.r

#2 ·
I kinda doubt the 4Matic transfer case would fit on anything but the automatic it came with

on a non-4matic, you'd need the gearbox, a different drive axle, the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder, and the stick shifter itself. oh and the 300E stickshift cars have a different final drive ratio, so you'd want to change out the rear end too.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
The easy path would be to ditch the 4Matic altogether and get a non-4Matic TE. On the outside, 4Matics appear the same as non 4M models. However, under the skin they are unique. Have you noticed how the front axel goes through the oil pan? That's just the beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.