Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ATF Level Check am I doing it right?

18K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Joloke72 
#1 ·
Been driving my old 230e quite a bit lately and its always had a slight flare up problem when its cold but it revs a little high then goes into gear but after a few minutes its fine with no issues it almost seems like once the fluid is hot it fixes itself :wink

A while ago it was suggested I check the level but I kept forgetting :(

Well today I did it,I had the car out on around a 40 mile run and upon return I parked it shifted into park left the motor running and checked the level.

I checked it a few times and could never be sure if it was on Min or half way?

To make matters worse unlike the engine oil dipstick which is strait the transmission dipstick as you will all know has lots of bends and isn't that quick or easy to remove or re insert for that matter :banghead:

I am questioning if i am doing it right as I cant get an accurate level :crying

seems to be different every time :(

Maybe I never let the car cool down enough but about an hour after shutting it down the fluid seemed to be over max on the dipstick? But under max when hot? seems very confusing but ill try and look again tomorrow when its cold as I know it says it should read about 10mm below Min when cold?

Very confused,the fluid and filter was changed just after I got the car about a year ago,my garage drained the fluid,The torque convertor and refilled with 6 liters they said which is what the handbook suggests.

But I do wonder with the flare ups and clunky changes if its a little low on fluid or a little high?

How do I get the most accurate reading?

Some say 20 mile drive,others say just run the engine for 15 minutes and the handbook only says 1-2 minutes :confused:

Do I cold check the ATF with the engine on or off?

Very confused indeed I will top it up if needed but with so much confusion about how you check I am a little scared :(

Also what the difference in liters between min and max markings?

Is it true my Trans 722.4 has an overfill weep hole or is that a myth?

Hellllpppp :crying

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply Hamada im still confused if i just need to run it for a few minutes or get it hot for 15 minutes or take it for a long run?

And if checking it cold has to even be done with the engine running?

lots of conflicting information out there :confused:

#5 ·
The whole process of checking the transmission fluid is driving me mad :banghead:

Tried again this morning First with engine off and the fluid was past the maximum mark is this normal with the engine turned off?

I then started it and let it idle for 2 minutes guessing this would give me a cold reading?

This gave me a reading of just on the loop at the bottom of the dipstick and smeared randomly further up too,whats that all about?

I then let it idle until the engine was up to temperature not scientific I know but 30 minutes idle and took a reading again that was really hard to tell what it was you decide from the photo?

I then had to drive the car but only a few miles but by now I assume it was up to temperature after running for 30 minutes plus a 5 mile journey whilst still hot?

I got this reading,its still inconclusive the dipstick is really hard to get in and out quickly and I seem to get different reading every time :frown

my gearshifts are clunky im sure its down on fluid but cant be certain if only it was as easy to read as an oil dipstick (and as easy to remove and reinsert!)

I am scared of putting more in because the readings are so inconclusive :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
2 things:

1) Never ever check the fluid reading with the engine off. It will only give you a false (high) reading.

2) Checking with a cold engine is useless. ATF expands, hence the need to get the car to full operating temp (about 15-20 minutes driving)

To properly check the level, do this.

1) Drive for at least 15-20 minutes

2) Park on a flat and level surface

3) After putting the car in Park, go through each gear P-R-N-D-3-2-1-2-3-D-N-R-P. Be sure to leave it in each gear for at least 5-10 seconds.

4) LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING

5) Check the level

#12 ·
Tried your method today but still finding it hard o get a proper reading :crying

Drove it for around 10 miles pulled into a car park and popped the hood cycled through the gears 10 seconds in each and back to park again checked the dipstick after wiping it and it was either on half or minimum? hard to tell?

I tried to read it again and the next time it seemed to be telling me there was no atf at all :eek

Everybody says its easy to check the level I have watched numerous YouTube videos and they all have a nice fluid on their dipsticks its just not what I am experiencing :frown

The question has to be asked if I am successful getting a true reading how an earth do I top up the fluid when the level seems to be different every time I try it?

I got a reading today that looked like Minimum or half the next looked like it was empty the inconsistency makes its hard to do a top up?

Im very grateful for everybody advice here but im not getting a nice clear reading on my dipstick :confused:

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :grin

I never did the cycling through the gears thing you see it doesn't say that in the handbook :eek

I still find it really hard to remove and replace the transmission dipstick quickly :banghead:

If it is down on fluid will i need to keep going back inside the car and cycling through the gears when I top it up as I am guessing once it sits in Park for too long I will start getting an incorrect reading again?

Its low on fuel so ill have to get some and take it for a run I guess and try your method,I was told I need to drive it for at least 20 miles but you just say 15 minutes

Its one of those instances where everybody has different ideas and methods and your not always sure which is the right one?

The Handbook doesn't help as it suggests just letting your car idle for 2 minutes then checking :eek

With that sort of vagueness its no wonder they often get overfilled...............

#9 · (Edited)
I think there's just 3 requirements - at operating temperature (80C), in park with engine running, parked on a level surface. As with engine oil check leave the dipstick in for a few seconds. If you're having a hard time seeing the fluid level on the stick run the corner of a piece of paper towel down the stick until it starts to absorb oil. For a clean dry dipstick tube take the dipstick out the night before and plug the tube with a rubber cork.

#10 ·
Just follow instructions as posted. One thing to add is that when you first pull the dipstick, wipe it off dry with a clean lint free rag or paper towel first. Put it back in, then check again. Prerequisites are engine at normal temp, parked on level surface, engine ON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Been driving my old 230e quite a bit lately and its always had a slight flare up problem when its cold but it revs a little high then goes into gear but after a few minutes its fine with no issues it almost seems like once the fluid is hot it fixes itself
This is normal behaviour of the transmission. In fact it’s designed to do that.

When cold the car will hang gears (Won’t upshift until much higher than normal RPM’s) in order to heat the catalysts faster.

If you search for “Cold upshift delay” you will get more info on that.

#14 ·
Maybe I am doing it wrong?

But I followed what was said,I have watched videos and they all show a lovely glass like fluid on the marker like what i have when i check cold with the engine off like this

But everytime i warm up the engine and get the fluid to temperature by reading look a little like this :(

which is pretty inconsistent :banghead:

The nearest was today when I pulled up in the car park to my eyes it appeared to be reading on Min on the back side of the dipstick but on the marked side was very little fluid?

I suppose if i can get a real reading if for instance it was on minimum I know there is 300ml between Min and Max I could add 200ml and recheck?

I have wondered if a later dipstick would help? are they all the same length?

I know on the later facelift models they had no dipstick and you buy a flexible one from the dealer that has hot and cold marking at the base on a plastic scale.

The Original I have is a right pain in the but to get in and out it snags on the filler tube.

I have the sort that's shown on page 2 "Dipstick Latch Transmission 722.4"

#15 ·
No point in checking fluid level with the car off. As said before it will always read way over.

Follow the instructions in post #6.

The only thing I would add is when you take the dipstick out, wipe it clean and wait about 3 minutes with it out still & the engine idling in park. Then put the dipstick in smoothly full in & retract right after.

The Oil spots on your photos is residual fluid in the dipstick tube. Doing the step above will reduce the Oil spotting.

It appears your trans fluid level is low. So top off a very small amount at a time and re-check the levels- again as per post #6 – no need to complicate that any further the instructions are correct.

The cold transmission flare is normal as stated in my prior post above. Just top off the fluid and job done.

#16 ·

I did wonder if it was the issue of getting it in and out of the dipstick tube that was causing the issue?

It seems nigh on impossible to push it down smoothly?

It appears to snag several times on the way out and back in :banghead:

Is there a knack?

As far as checking with the engine off I only really did it to get a photo with the fluid on the dipstick :wink

So If I am correct your saying get the transmission hot then cycle through the gears holding them for a while in each before returning to park

Then remove dipstick and clean it and leave it a few minutes before reinserting it?

I will keep trying :wink

That said i think I now have another issue I noticed when checking it today as I switched off the engine I heard a gurgling sort of water noise and there's a pool under the car :rolleyes:

could be wrong but I think the water pump is leaking out of the weep hole?oh Joy!

Don't think this car likes me :laugh

#19 ·
Think I have mastered the knack of getting the dipstick in and out a little easier :wink

I haven't had the chance to get it up to temperature though and check it as it appears I do indeed have a failing water pump :frown

Never rains but it Pours...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.