Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E320 Convertible 1994 - pre buying questions

3K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  LeftCoastGeek 
#1 ·
Hi All,,
New to the forum, i have an opportunity to buy a 1994 e320 convertible from the original owner
the car has 54K miles on it, the service book is stamped to 37,000 miles i believe but not afterwards, original wiring harness seems to be intact, no head gasket replacement or anything else, drove the car this morning and it drives nicely, brakes squeak but nothing major could use an alignment. the top works great and no evidence of leaking cylinders. the drivers side headlight lens is cracked as is the rear brakelight plastic piece.

The seller wants 16K
am i getting a good deal or getting hosed ?

thanks,
Mar

#3 ·
Thanks Deanyel,

I'd feel more comfortable in the 12K range, i'm gonna proceed with a PPI by my local MB mechanic, based on that i hope to get the price down a bit, i'm thinking an additional 4k would have to be put into the car in the coming year, including replacing the harness, replacing the head gasket, engine mounts, alignment, anything i could be missing ?

how much will the PPI tell me ?

#4 ·
A good PPI should tell you everything and I agree that the ask on the car is high. If you would, go to our DIY sticky and read the "new buyers" link if you haven't already done so. You will also find some specific links for cabriolets.

Use the PPI for leverage with the seller and keep us posted.

Jayare

#5 ·
so i got a PPI, the mechanic said the car needs:

the top, and hvac system were original and in good shape

3 new tires
Alignment
AC Filter
Left Headlight glass broken
Left Roll bar switch broken
center console arm rest straps
under car carriage panel is broken - (belly pan?)
Right engine mount leaking and collapsed
Headlight wiper warn
outside temp sensor

#6 ·
Having just finished "sorting out" a '95 cab - I would be cautious of an original wiring harness/orig head gasket car. As purchased, mine had upgraded harness - but it still had a few places that needed resoldering. I also just replaced the head gasket and discovered that it was at least the second replacement (105K miles). The head gasket is less of a concern for you - but the harness would be a hard road to go down, if done properly. I suppose it comes down to how much driving you plan on doing.

Also critical is the complete interior - particularly the visor attachment covers, convertible latch covers, etc. Hard to source. Check EVERYTHING for function. If you have things like functioning seatbelt extenders, working hirschmann antenna, Alarm and locks both work, all klima controls work (make sure the center vents are not on all the time), top operation cycles the windows both up and down, you may be looking a fairly - or even well priced - car. Lots of things to miss though, check the trip odometer for proper reset, make sure the a/c compressor does not spin all the time (easily and often wired to always engaged). LED pixels on the cluster temp indicator all ok. The car is priced as a completely sorted car. Make sure it is.

#9 ·
The head gasket is less of a concern for you - but the harness would be a hard road to go down, if done properly. I suppose it comes down to how much driving you plan on doing.
Backwards I'd say. A head gasket is serious work involving the timing chain. Few DIYer want to tackle it. A shop is likely $1500 and up. Wiring harness is child's play by comparison. A good used harness is likely available for under $200 and anyone can install in 2-3 hours. Btw I think it's very unlikely that it actually has an original harness.

#7 ·
the seller's come down 1K from his original ask of 16K, with these cars, does maintenance trump miles ?
I'm looking at a 300ce with 120k miles and a stack of maintenance records. Should i be less concerned with the miles and more concerned with the records ?

thanks,
Marc

#8 ·
I doubt that car sells at 15k. What year 300CE? A 1993 3.2 liter is a considerably better car than what came before. 88-89 had a 3.0 liter 2 valve 103 engine, 90-92 had a 3.0 liter 4 valve 104 engine. The HP number on the 3.0 104 motor looks good but the 3.2 has much better low end torque, and is more reliable and repairable.

A medium miles car with good records can be a great bargain.

#12 ·
I am surprised some of those items showed up in a PPI for a car with that kind of mileage and what appears to be a maintenance history. I would double check that the mileage is accurate. I see an awful lot of these cars for sale advertised with low mileage.

I just purchase a 95 E320 cab last month. I had been looking for quite some time. I live in the Washington, DC area. It seems around here these cars are fetching a premium.

I found one buried on CL that did not have the proper ad placement. I paid $8,200 with 129K miles. Nov 95 build date. Its in great shape - owned by the same family the entire time. Appears to always have been garage kept. The things that did not work is the antenna, one of the visor mirrors was broken - but he had a replacement and one speaker was out - he also had a replacement for that. Full maintenance history with the head gasket replaced as well as the wiring harness. PPI by a Mercedes dealer.

With that said I am of the opinion that you cannot overpay for a good car although the car you are considering seems a bit high. However its typically for what I saw in my area.

You should budget several thousand dollars in repairs no matter what shape the car is in - at least in my opinion. There is always unseen things.

Good Luck!

#13 ·
thanks Nova, i think the guy is telling the truth about the mileage, he's in his late 70's early 80's and the car is just sitting in his garage - literally rotting away.
The more i look, it seems that a W124 convertible that has twice as much mileage but half the price, with good maintenance may be the way to go.

still looking on CL, although haven't given up hope on the 53K miles one.

#14 ·
thanks for the help thus far... so i've found a grey/black 300ce with 113k

the bad: the seatbelt presenters are gone, the mb tex has a crack thru it in the driver seat from edge to edge horizontally, in need of a new rearview mirror, and the top... when i put it down, it went down, but would not go up, the dealer had his tech there and said the tech jiggled the switch and then it went up, is also ordering a new switch, i had them check the fluid and apparently the levels are where they need to be.
No books at all, but carfax shows head gasket replacement and wiring harness looks new.

the good: original paint, top looks like it the car has been garaged, no cracks, no filler.

im thinking about proceeding with a PPI from MBZ Motors in Winnetka - the dealer told me that he already had it checked out... i'd like a 2nd opinion.

Is this a car i should run from or proceed...

here's a link to the car

Used 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300 Series 300CE at AAA Motor Cars

#19 ·
Much nicer looking car that appears to have been looked after fairly well and triple black is a pretty desirable color combo. Additionally, being 040 blk, means there is no clear coat, which means a pro level clay bar, scratch and swirl removal, polish and wax will make it look as if we're just dipped.

#27 ·
I've watched this car online but have not driven down the 20 or so miles to see it.

The chromed wheels certainly seem Californian - to go with the Car Fax records.

Did the car receive wiring harness and head gasket replacement?

Finally - what Arizona shop will be doing your PPI? I am going to need one soon also (another 124) and your recommendation (or criticism) as to your satisfaction with a PPI will be appreciated.

#30 ·
So I made the deal on the triple black 1995 e320 drove it home from Phoenix yesterday, few observations
The gas pedal is heavy - thank goodness for cruise control, the car handles like a dream the tape player seems to disapate heat into the ash tray and not sure I figured out the head rests - they may not work

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.