Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OVP, NSS, WTH???

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JEL 
#1 ·
OK folks, I'm in need of some help. I just recently bought a 1995 E300D with 145,000 miles on it. It's in good shape, and I love it, but it's starting to make me crazy. I've had a few unexpected mechanical issues, and now I have a new electrical issue.

I've had some intermittent electrical gremlins (i.e. Sunroof won't close, Windows won't operate, etc), but these have always gone away within a few minutes and everything went back to normal. Today, however, my car just won't start. All the lights and switches work, but when I go to start it...nothing. No clicks, no whirs, and definitely no activation of the starter motor.

I replaced all the fuses about 5 days ago, and everything worked fine after that. I drove it daily for those 5 days without any electrical gremlins. I ran to the store last night, and apparently didn't get the trunk latched, so I'm guessing the trunk light ran all night and drained the battery. However, the battery still showed 12+ volts this morning, and I wasn't able to jumpstart it either. I pulled the battery and charged it for several hours, but the car still wouldn't start after reinstalling the battery.

I'm pretty sure it's not battery related, and all the torpedo fuses look good. I went through the Forum looking for ideas, and the 10A fuse on the OVP is good. I also tried starting the car in Neutral in case the NSS was bad, but still no luck.

Any ideas as to why the starter won't engage?? And why something failed so abruptly??

See less See more
#3 ·
I've tried locking and unlocking from driver's door, passenger door and trunk. No change.

The shifter doesn't feel any different than it has...but I've only owned it for 3 months and it spent one of those months in the shop with a leaking water pump housing. Plus, I thought that trying to start it in Neutral would get around any shifter issues.

#5 · (Edited)
The 1995 diesel does have ecojunk wiring. The lower harness does the battery connection. If bad, it may cause these symptoms.

Also, the OVP is a wear-and-tear item. It is worth replacing if its age is unknown, even if it looks good. It may not be your problem in this case, but having a new one is wise maintanence.

#6 · (Edited)
Quick test. First, MAKE SURE THE SHIFTER IS IN PARK.

1. Remove the connector shown in the photo. Its right by the brake master cylinder.

2. Connect a wire to the middle of the three male pins on the connector that is on the cowl (not the connector on the wire).

3. Touch the other end of the wire to the positive post on the battery.

You will have just circumvented the NSS. If the starter spun, you have a new clue in the puzzle.

Edit: See the following post for the photo :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.