Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

280 stopped wouldnt restart until later that day

845 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  LeftCoastGeek 
#1 ·
A mate has a 280 that whilst driving to work, had the uncomfortable incident where it just stopped in middle of traffic. Would not restart/kick.

On returning later in the day started no issue and drove home no problem.

He cannot replicate the problem.

Any hints suggestions ?

#2 ·
crank position sensors have been knonw to get temperature sensitive. get too hot, they stop working, engine stops working as the CPS provides both spark and injection timing on the HFM-SFI cars.

other things that might do that would include a flakey OVP, MAS or fuel pump relay.

#3 ·
Thanks matey will pass that on to him

#5 ·
On the 91 I sold a while back,same issue,drove me nutso!, replaced and tested everything,then found a hairline crack on dist rotor mounting bracket, I could drive the car for 10-30 minutes,then it would stall and not restart until cooled, that crack would expand with heat and cause misalignment of rotor. fixed the problem and car was fine for 2 years,then sold it.

Attachments

#9 ·
GUYS A MILLION APOLOGIES ITS AN M103 260E. SO RP suggestion stands.
My biggie I'd swear he told me its was a 280, but I am getting old and my hearing is going due to teenage girls screaming all day

#11 ·
ok, the m103 still has a CPS, its use for the ignition timing. it still could be a marginal OVP (overvoltage protection relay), or MAS/FRP (later 103's have a MAS combo relay, earlier ones have a separate fuel pump relay, either could cause the fuel pumps to stop, which stalls the car). On a M103, it also could be a overheated EZK. And yes, even possibly the flaky distributor that lowesguy mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.