Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1994 E320 winshield wipers stopped working! during the rain!!

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LeftCoastGeek 
#1 ·
So, I purchased this gem for $500 with 118k miles on it a month ago and I'm literally floored by how well it runs! Even the AC works! All I've done to it thus far is gotten the oil changed. But yesterday while driving in the rain the windshield wiper stopped working. It sputtered a bit and then it wiped into the middle and just stopped. I immediately pulled off of the highway, waited until it stopped raining, manually pushed the wiper into it's resting position, and drove home. Now I know it's a long shot, but I'd like to replace the fuse and cross my fingers and hopes that fixes it however, I cannot find a clear answer or an understandable fuse diagram to save my life. I just need to know what position and what kind, so that I can get the proper replacement. I've also looked a little further into wiper motors etc, but this is preventing me from passing my state inspection and driving safely in the rain. Please advise.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Doubtful it is the fuse: however, you should replace ALL your fuses with the ceramic core, copper type.

The wiper gear is well known for becoming stripped due to the 20 year old grease turning into a thick paste. Do a forum post search to find threads on how to fix this.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Had the same thing to happen to me during my first few months of ownership. It was a light rain and I only pulled over because I began to detect the scent of burning electrics. Pulled a fuse and continued home. I found instructions on how to disassemble and lube the wiper assembly. Did that, found no damage, and its been happy wiping for the last 2.5 years.

#8 ·
The wiper gear on my 201 stripped and it still worked but extended in all the wrong places. A month ago the wiper on my 124 stopped working the same as yours did and was just the fuse, The relay can also fail with dry solder joints.

If I was you, I'd replace the fuse if that doesn't work, check the relay with a known good one, if that works/doesn't work I'd still pull the wiper mechanism out to clean and lube just so you know it's been done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.