#1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1992 300D: A Good Year?

Own a 1984 300SD, now looking at a 1992 300D as well. Have heard that certain diesels in early 90s had problems, resulting in engine problems, but am uncertain of model, type. Is this one of those vehicles? Any info is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003
Although it may feel underpowered, the '92 300D 2.5 turbo is a very reliable car. The f...

Although it may feel underpowered, the '92 300D 2.5 turbo is a very reliable car. The fuel economy is consistently in the mid 30's, too. The timing chains tend to stretch prematurely on these cars, and I believe Mercedes corrected the problem with an updated version. Other than that, nothing to go wrong from there. Good car.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 11:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 400E
This engine should be good, I think it was the 300SD diesel from the early 90's that had...

This engine should be good, I think it was the 300SD diesel from the early 90's that had problems. I know that the '87 300D did have trouble.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 400E
#4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1987 300D Turbo
Problems

The troubled models are the 350SDL W126 and W140 S350D, they seem to have horrible complications, anywhere from engines, to transmissions, to electrical components. People have said that the W140 is a complicated car, the diesel model wasn't much better. Hey Zeronero, what's wrong with the 87? So far my car is fine except for my encounter with the trench in the road (its not a dip).

Jason Mak
1974 280 (W114)
1979 300SD (W116)
1983 300D Turbo (W123)
1987 300D Turbo (W124)
www.maxilube.com
#5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 400E
There is some oxygen thing at the exhaust, not the sensor but something else that had pr...

There is some oxygen thing at the exhaust, not the sensor but something else that had problems in CA. They were all recalled but Merecedes stopped production for a year or two and the new engine came out to work in all 50 states without trouble. I think that the '87 had the most hp of any diesel in a 124.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 400E
#6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Re: There is some oxygen thing at the exhaust, not the sensor but something else that had pr

Quote:

There is some oxygen thing at the exhaust, not the sensor but something else that had problems in CA. They were all recalled but Merecedes stopped production for a year or two and the new engine came out to work in all 50 states without trouble. I think that the '87 had the most hp of any diesel in a 124.
The trap oxidizer plagued all OM603.961 engined Mercedes 300SDL/300D/300TD turbo models. Mercedes had a campaign done, and replaced the TO with an oxidation catalyst. The same pollution device used on brand new diesels. Also, if damage was done to the turbo, or head from the device, Mercedes would replace those items too. Free of charge, no matter how old the car was, no matter how many miles (this campaign still applies to all diesels that may still have the TO).

On the '87 300D they replaced the exhaust front to back! I have almost 300K on my SDL. Still going strong.

While I'm at it, it may not be a W124, but here's a video of the big S-Class version accelerating to 60 mph. To showcase the engine family, of course. Count the seconds. Should be high sevens to low eights. No brake torqueing.

http://www.ejzcars.com/SDL acceleration 4.mov
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
RE: 1992 300D: A Good Year?

The 6 cylinder diesel is also prone to head gasket problems. My mechanic advises me that any type of overheating might cause head problems so be warned. I lost my head at 240k and junked the car as there were many other issues worth way more than the car; still miss the power of that diesel.

Another issue is that not many of these things are floating around so rebuilt heads might be a problem. Most people I've chatted with on the topic have simply bought a new head from Stuttgart and taken it in the rear, 'er, pocketbook.

So, if you DO wind up with a 6 cylinder turbo diesel from the 1987 era ensure you have service records and that the car has not been overheated. If you do get one and the temp starts rising STOP the car and park it; get a cab immediately. You cannot take any chances at all with this engine. My mechanic shakes his head when I tell him I want another one.

Apparently the 1992 five cylinder diesel is a shorter version of the 1987 six cylinder model but does not have as many issues as the six. I would like to hear from others on this motor, too, as a 1995 300D is on my short list.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.