Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

First Benz:90 300E

867 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dormane 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to throw my hat in here. I just purchased a 90 300E 2.6 with 119K miles on the clock. This is my first mercedes after owning a bmw635. I used to do as much as I could on that one and hopefully, and with some tips here, will be able to do the same with this one.

Just have to say that the ride is great, inside and out, not major issues(that I know of) and I am looking forward taking her as far as I can.

I do have a few Qs and hope the list can point me in the right direction.

Radio-Front speakers, except drivers dash, dont work. Is this common and is there a common fix. Incidentally the fader seems to be 'crumb infested' might have something to do with it.

Rear Pass Window does not work-not sure if it is switch or motor-hope its switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am sure there are other boards for the w124, any suggestions-tech orientated.

Lastly is there a FAQ somewhere that covers basic maintenence or tips and tricks for this and that on repairs for this model.

Look forward to many more miles and smiles with this one.

Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, lots of new people

Welcome aboard Samin, what colour is your new ride?

Definiately clean the fader control. Must admit though that I hvn't had a ny trouble with my speakers.

My rear passenger window has its moments. Seams to come and go though. The switches are easy to clean if you take the centre consol apart (not hard). There was an awful lot of fluff, crumbes and general yuk when I cleaned mine for the first time in I guess 10 years.

Good luck

Andy

#3 ·
Fader.....

What's the deal on this?
I want to work on an aftermarket stereo over the next few months with mine, but what's the deal with the stock stereo set-up?

Welcome man, enjoy the car.

-Tubs

#4 ·
Re: Fader.....

I've found both the head unit and speakers really suck IMHO. After hearing them *once* I threw out the old headunit and put in an Alpine CD; vast improvement. Speakers need work (paper cone?!!?) and the old wiring is bizzare but I'm getting there.

--eric
'93 300CE
'72 350SL

What's the deal on this?
I want to work on an aftermarket stereo over the next few months with mine, but what's the deal with the stock stereo set-up?

Welcome man, enjoy the car.

-Tubs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.