Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!

789 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eiknujzneb 
#1 ·
I drive a 1991 300e

So I was driving along today, just normal errands, and I had to make a U-turn to pull out of a shopping center. I hear this big "CLANK!" Like something metal just broke or hit something. So I finally get home to take a look at it, I get under the car and I see this:

Can someone tell me what this is?
Is it easy to fix?
Expensive?
Can a tool-handy person do it themselves?

THANKS! My poor baby is broken!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not pretty....

That's going to be costly. With any luck you can talk to a mechanic and find a part in a junkyard maybe.

-Tubs

#4 ·
Definitely appears to be the rear sway bar end link.

To replace:

Remove the plastic ...

Definitely appears to be the rear sway bar end link.

To replace:

Remove the plastic cover under the large bottom suspension link (where the broken part is mounted) by taking off a couple (3, I think) small screws along the edges.

Unbolt the broken part from the lower suspension link. Unbolt the other side of the broken link from the sway bar.

Remount new sway bar end link, and replace plastic cover.

NOTE: Both rear tires will need to be at the same elevation in order for you to be able to mount the end link. If you jack up one side of the car, then you will never be able to mount the link, as you will need to put tremendous load on the sway bar to move it into mounting position.

Do the repair with both rear tires elevated, or both rear tires on the ground.

No sweat - 15 minutes for a novice with a basic Craftsman tool assortment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.