Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Running rough with a clinging noise

832 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Evan 
#1 ·
Hi, Today i lended my friend my car as she had to make a long drive (i know big no no).... When she returned she informed me that the car was shaking heavily at idle. Not only is it running rough it almost sounds like there is a skip in the engine when accelerating. I removed all the plugs and they all seem to be fine. The wires appear to be fine as well.
The engine will run smooth at idle with frequent periods of rough running, during the rough periods i notice that the engine makes this clanging/ticking noise. It is driving me nuts and i have (had) big plans for this weekend. Is there any quick fixes i can look at? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 ·
Did you happen to ask if she filled it up?
Maybe she put in some bad gas and it is real...

Did you happen to ask if she filled it up?
Maybe she put in some bad gas and it is really giving it hell.

-Tubs

#3 ·
Yes she did fill it up, however she said it did not start acting up till 2 hours after t...

Yes she did fill it up, however she said it did not start acting up till 2 hours after the fill up? there is a definite skip in the engine..

#4 ·
Hmmm...

Tough call, I wouldn't rule out the fuel yet, I'll speak with my mechanic as soon as I can and ask him what it might be. I think something might have let go. It happens, lets just hope it's nothing big.
I'd nurse it until you find out for sure.

-Tubs

#5 ·
Octane booster help?

Im letting the car run to let the gas level go down,, Would it help if i put octane booster in the tank? Also what could have let go? Some ideas so i could just check them and see. I have a big road trip tomorrow morning and there are no mercedes mechanics open.. Talk about perfect timing!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.