Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Car smells funny after driving

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  zeronero 
#1 ·
When I get home and pull into the garage my car smells like fireworks, just after they went off. It seems to be coming from the mid to rear section. Anyone have any ideas.

#5 ·
I'd run it still and try and hunt down the exact area of the smell and then consult a me...

I'd run it still and try and hunt down the exact area of the smell and then consult a mechanic/technician/expert. Someone to tell you what it might be.
Some cars just smell though.
Buddy of mine has a 97 325i convertible that after he runs it hard it stunk a bit. The smell evnetually went away. We deduced it was just some buildup in the exhaust that was getting burned out.

Maybe this will go away, but a second opinion in person never hurts.

-Tubs

#6 ·
The smell is more potent after I drive fast. There is a long hill to my place and when I...

The smell is more potent after I drive fast. There is a long hill to my place and when I am pissed off at the world I floor my car up to about 60mph. I heard from a post at MBWorld that it probally is the catalyc converter, yes I know I spelt that word wrong.

#7 ·
Yeah, we heard it might be the cat on the Bimmer, but when the mechanic looked over it, ...

Yeah, we heard it might be the cat on the Bimmer, but when the mechanic looked over it, it was clean and solid. See how it pans out. Get the cat checked though.

-Tubs

#8 ·
After a hard run, poke you head down and look at you catalytic converter. This is best do...

After a hard run, poke you head down and look at you catalytic converter. This is best done at night. If it's glowing red, then you have a problem.

It may simply be a plastic bag that stuck onto the exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.