Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A kitty cat question.

719 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tubs300E 
#1 ·
This goes out to Abarton and anyone else who pulled there cats off.

1. Did your car get louder...in a yucky way?[xx(]
2. Did you need to recalabrate the fuel infection in some way?[:(]
3. Did your computer dislike this?[:(!]
4. Would you like to fries and a large coke with that? (Ok, so the last one was not serious, butthe others are.)

#2 ·
Hi PMS,

I didn't take the cat off. They were not compulsory here in the UK until 1993 I think. The original owner of the car specified it from Germany without one. I guess that means it has a different exhaust system as a result.

In terms of noise, it is quiet at low throttle but has an amazing aptitude to turn peoples heads on the street when you gun it. It makes a glorious hard edged noise at high revs that is not stiffled by the CAT.

The red line on the 24valve is 7,000RPM! At those revs it screams like only a straight six can. Glorious

I suspect the Bosche KE-Jetronic on the 300-24valve just compensates without fuss just as it does with different grades of fuel.

Fries and a large coke sounds great.

Andy

[:D]

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! The only reason I asked these questions is I saw the price of rep...

Thanks for the reply! The only reason I asked these questions is I saw the price of replacing the cat on line and it made me ill. Especially since in Florida, we no longer have emission testing. I had a cat removed from a car years ago and it went from being so silent to this horrid sounding motorboat groggle noise.

I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit.

#4 ·
If you remove the cat

You'll probably have to get a full non-cat exhaust . Or at least he back section.

That might be tricky in the US.

Good luck

#5 ·
Exhaust

Just what is the availibity of exhaust of a W124 3.2 in the states? Anyone know? I was looking to put something new on it, I want some twin ovals polished popping out the left rear. Which can be done easy enough, but if I can gain a few ponies in the process, I'd be very pleased.

-Tubs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.