Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wiring E320 Wagon for New Head Unit and 5Ch Amp

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  amgmbnz 
#1 ·
I have finally decided to further upgrade my stereo in 1994 E320 Wagon.

This is what I try to achieve:
1. Have a single CD head unit which also plays MP3.
2. Have amber color in the head unit illumination so that it matches interior design.
3. Have a retractable wire with headphones male jack at the end. This will go into the auxiliary input and will be used to connect iPod to the system
4. Need to figure out how to mount the iPod yet.
5. Have a 5 channel amp, (including sub). Since the amp is pretty big, I will have to put it in the same place where the original amp is located.
6. Rewire the car, so that the amp is fed from the RCA output on the head unit.

After extensive search, I found a head unit that matches my criteria. I am not sure about the quality, but I bought it anyway. I paid about $200 for new on the eBay. It's a Clarion unit. It has 80 LCD display colors you can pick from. Here it is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-azqpPOJpL1b/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=020DXZ735M&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I also purchased the AMP on the eBay.

Now I need to purchase the wiring harness(es).

I figure that I need four pairs of RCA ended cables and four pairs of speaker cables running from the head unit to the place where the AMP would be. This place is where the first aid kit is located.

I would appreciate a lot if anyone with experience can answer three questions:
<b>
1. How long the cables should be? (12, 15, 20 feet)
2. What's the best route to run eight pairs of wires from the head unit to the back of the wagon?
3. What't the best route to run permanent +12V thick gauge wire from the battery to the AMP?
</b>

I will use existing wiring harness for the original AMP to get to the speakers in the doors as subs.

I have already replaced front and rear speakers with infinity ones.

Appreciate your help.
Nugzar

See less See more
#2 ·
where did u get the wire harness??

i am trying to put in a new cd player for my 95 e320 too. to avoid cutting the factory wires and ease of installation it will be better to purchase a wire harness which connects to the factory wires then to the cd player. where did u get yours?? and does anyone have a wire diagram showing the which wire is which.

#3 ·
You don't have to cut wires if you want to reuse the original wiring. You can instead tap...

You don't have to cut wires if you want to reuse the original wiring. You can instead tap on them using tap connectors that you can find in Wal-Mart or elsewhere. While ago I put together the wiring diagram for the E320 Wagon. Also, do's and don’ts.

Here it is
http://www.users.qwest.net/~nkachukhashvili/MB%20E320%20T%20Radio.pdf

I bought my head unit on the eBay.

What I am looking for is the path to run 8 pairs of wires from head unit to the back of the cargo compartment.

Thanks

#4 ·
thanks your diagram is very helpful.

with this info i feel much more confident about puttin in the cd player myself. thanks. i install a cd changer before in an acura and i had to rewire the cable to the trunk. the only way was to go under the rear seats. its pretty simple just lift up enough for the cable to go through and find it the cable in the back of the trunk did u say u had a wagon i have no idea about the setup on the wagons. sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.