Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Has anyone constructed a spring compression tool? Prices are ridiculous! Any other way?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  stout 
#1 ·
Has anyone constructed a spring compression tool? Prices are ridiculous! Any other way?

I have put this question for quite a while now but started to think about it again since I will get my new renewed 8-hole rims next week.
The situation is that the former owner has put in wrong springs or too thick rubber pads which makes the car higher in front than the end. The car is probably overall slightly higher than original!! There fore I want to change everything back original or even better, slightly lower.
The problem is that I don’t know how to remove the springs properly. I have changed springs on my SLK 320 the hard way with the help of two hydraulic jacks, this seems to be out of the questions when reading topics of this forum. How have you done this?

I have been thinking of making the proper tools myself, a few picture can bee found on the net and I have knowledge/access to a MIG welding machine. I cant seem to find anyone else saying that they have done the same, any suggestions on how to do this. Doing it at the local repair/MB dealer shop is not an option, if it can be done I want to do it myself.

Any suggestions
Johan

See less See more
#2 ·
would this do the trick?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumb...

would this do the trick?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43753

#3 ·
my advice to you is NOT to try and make your own spring compressors - the tension on the...

my advice to you is NOT to try and make your own spring compressors - the tension on the stock front springs is bad enough - if you have oversized ones in they will be a nightmare.

As for not taking it to a dealer or local shop - well, this is one job I wouldn't tackle with home made tools.

Andy

#4 ·
Re: Has anyone constructed a spring compression tool? Prices are ridiculous! Any other way?

I have been thinking of making the proper tools myself, a few picture can bee found on the net and I have knowledge/access to a MIG welding machine. I cant seem to find anyone else saying that they have done the same, any suggestions on how to do this. Doing it at the local repair/MB dealer shop is not an option, if it can be done I want to do it myself.

Any suggestions
Johan
I would look into renting one. I don't know if that option is available to you in Sweden however. We have tool rental places here in the states.

#5 ·
Those front springs are a nightmare.

I shipped in a 260e from germany since I got it for a real good deal It was much higher then the models state side I guess since they get alot of snow there in germany the owner had it raised by the dealer by using the thickest pads. So I ordered some springs and the thinnest bushings and took one coil out of the spring which gave the ride height in the pic. Take it from me don't do it yourself I have a hole about 7 feet high across the garage where the spring compressor stuck in after it came off the spring from the tension I new it would happen and kept myself out of the way when I did it. The reason why that happend was because front benz springs are both thicker and longer with more coils then a regular spring and only the dealer tool will work none of the one's from harbour freight work unless you want to risk your life I tried them all. I took the chance and would never do it again. But on the upside it took me 30 minutes to do the back ones. super easy.

Attachments

#7 ·
I just changed the springs in the 87 300D and it was a job of dangerous proportions. I u...

I just changed the springs in the 87 300D and it was a job of dangerous proportions. I used the standard spring compressors from Pep Boys. The style that grab each side of the spring and you crank down on the bolts evenly, hoping you can compress the spring evenly. It was a scary process and I was able to remove enough tension from the spring to pry it off of the control arm seat without much problem.

The most dangerous aspect was the removal of the compressors after the spring was out of the car. Initially I used a vise to hold one of the compressors and attempted to loosen each compressor evenly. But one of the compressors shifted on the spring causing reluctance on my part to even go near the vise again. The compressors were still attached, but the spring had a severe bow in it that made it quite dangerous looking. It took a lot of thinking to come up with a solution but the eventual removal of the compressors took my overhead chain hoist and one of the anchors in the garage floor.

I am probably a bit more advanced in the tool category and was able to solve this problem without damage or injury. I don’t know that I would consider doing it again. At least not this way.

Pictures are below. Before: with #2 spring pads front and rear and the stock springs. After: with #1 rear and #2 front. I had initially used #1 in the front but it was too low so the #2’s went back in. The new springs are an Eibach ProKit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.