Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Climate Control and A/C trouble

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pkmaven 
#1 ·
Hi I have an 86 300e that has problems with the climate control. The a/c and heat work well. the problem is that randomly the a/c compressor will turn on but no air will come. after i park the car there will be water dripping. Then sometimes when i push the fan on or the a/c it won't turn on. other times the fan turns on randomly.

Please give me some advice on what could be the problem and solution. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Hmmm... well, I don't want to be like those stupid computer technical support people who t...

Hmmm... well, I don't want to be like those stupid computer technical support people who tell you to make sure the computer is plugged in to the wall, but if your fan speed is set to "Auto" and your temperature knob thingy is in the white area, it might activate the A/C or heat depending on the temperature in the vehicle.

Try setting it to all blue and turning the fan on max. If it stays cold then, try setting it to all red and leaving the fan on max. Wait 2 minutes and see if its blowing only hot air. If it does this your system is in good shape and it just might be the temperature sensor by the sunroof switch...

#3 ·
A/C woes in early 124

Anyone who has a 124 body Mercedes has problems with their A/C by now or will have by the end of this summer. The first sign of trouble is no cold air coming out of the center vents. The next bad sign is cold air coming out of the defrost vents at the bottom of the windshield. Their are five vacuum pods behind the dash which control and direct the cold air to where it is supposed to blow. The rubber diaphragms in these vacuum elements dries out after about 9-10 years and begins to crack and leak vacuum. To restore the 124 to like new operation requires replacing these pods. The dealer would charge about $1500 to do the job, but you can buy the vacuum elements from Rusty discounted (800-741-5252). The climate control pushbutton unit must be removed as well as the bottom covers (under dash) and the top of the dashboard. It takes about five hours to do the job and anyone who has a Mercedes body and chasis manual has instructions. The cd also shows how to do the job and Dave Meimann has done several 124 300D Turbos, and has taken pictures:www.meimann.com/images/mercedes/W124.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.