Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"engine braking"

677 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jackd 
#1 ·
when i drive and see that there is a red light or stop sign i will usually put it into D3 to slow the car down a bit and to save my brakes. my friend referred this to "engine braking" and that its not good for the transmission...any comments?

#2 ·
Bad practice

Brake pads and rotors are less costly to replace than transmissions. Downchanging and engine braking should be reserved for mountain passes which could overheat brakes or for very "spirited" driving. Downchanging when slowing for traffic lights and stop signs only wears your car out faster.

#3 ·
UPGRADE

Just upgrade to better brakes. Go here they're in L.A.
www.BergWerks.com . They have an exact OE crossdrilled brake kit for the W124. You're not going to find a better price anywhere. I just placed my order with them. 1,400 for all 4 crossdrilled rotors, new pads, steel braided lines, and also painting my calipers. This is the installed price.

#4 ·
thanks for the advice, link and all...but i keep getting mixed answers...is engine braki...

thanks for the advice, link and all...but i keep getting mixed answers...is engine braking really harmful for the transmission? thanks again

#5 ·
BRAKING

Yes,shifting an auto purposely to slow down at stop signs and red lights will rush your tranny to the
graveyard. Listen to Greg he gave very good advise.A
W124 tranny rebuild starts around 3grand. So just keep that in mind everytime you have the urge
to downshift to brake.Instead invest half that much into bigger and better brakes plus it just looks kick a**.

#6 ·
Some simples maths.
To stop your car from say 50MPH to 0MPH requires the production of X ...

Some simples maths.
To stop your car from say 50MPH to 0MPH requires the production of X BTU's. (Movemement is transfered to heat)
You either heat your brakes, or your transmission, differential and engine (or your left shoe sole). The least expensive item is your brakes, and they have been built for that purpose, and only that purpose.
Let your engine, transmission, differential do what their were designed for (accelerate, maintain speed) and ask your brakes to do the braking. So they will not fight between each other.
JackD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.