Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

headlight swap-out

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CaliE320 
#1 ·
i'm also considering changing the two-piece headlights on my '93 400E to the euro version -- are there any tricks to it, or is it a simple swap-out? will the standard US-spec healight wipers line up on the euro lights? eventually i want to get smoked corners and smoked tail lights as well, but i think the euro headlights would have the most cosmetic effect on the car.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i'm also considering changing the two-piece headlights on my '93 400E to the euro version -- are there any tricks to it, or is it a simple swap-out? will the standard US-spec healight wipers line up on the euro lights? eventually i want to get smoked corners and smoked tail lights as well, but i think the euro headlights would have the most cosmetic effect on the car.
It can be kind of tricky, although it only took me about 2-2.5 hours to get the job done. And there are a couple of concerns, one which you already mentioned.

I ordered the whole new system. I got OEM clear sidemarkers off of E-Bay, Bosch Euro's off of E-Bay, and went to the dealership and ordered new wiper assemblies and motors from a 95 500E.

The wiper rod from the motor came out in a different spot from my Bosch Euro's. I had to cut a new hole in the metal on the body to get it to fit. (I will be ordering the two pieces of metal to get that fixed).

Also the plug on the US lights don't match the plug on the Euro lights. I cut out the plug on the US lights and rewired my Euro light to that US plug. I will eventually order those city lights and run a wire from the fogs or turn signals for that. You can order the adaptor (which requires you to find it and wait for shipping) or just wire it like I did.

You will be surprised when you hear how much the rear smoked lens enhance the appearance on a black w124. They look real nice!

I haven't really looked into smoked sidemarkers though. Good luck to ya though, and I'll see if I can get the guy with the Euro wiring diagram to post his pic.

#3 ·
hmmmm. yeah, the headlight conversion will take some work, i guess -- i'll probably star...

hmmmm. yeah, the headlight conversion will take some work, i guess -- i'll probably start witht he smoked taillights, then. those are just a simple swap, right? they look awesome -- thanks for the pic!

#4 ·
The headlight conversion will take about 1 week to get all the necessary parts (or longer ...

The headlight conversion will take about 1 week to get all the necessary parts (or longer if you have to wait from E-Bay). Just make sure you get quality Euro's (Like Bosch or Hella).

The smoked taillights are real easy. Takes about 10 minutes. gotta unscrew some stuff, but its real easy to figure out and do. within minutes you'll have the old ones out and you'll be ready to put the new ones in.

Good luck to you sir!

#5 ·
EURO

Euro conversion will take 30 mins tops. Just make sure you get quality euros like Chupp said either Hellas or Bosch.Another key thing to make the job easier is when buying the new euro lights make sure they come with the 5 pin adaptor.Otherwise you'll have to splice and rewire.Smoked taillights are easy just be patient when putting on the back plastic
wire housing. It can be a bit tricky to get all the screws to line up straight, don't tighten to much you'll crack them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.