Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Taking offers for my 87 300E

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mountainredneck 
#1 ·
The transmission in my beloved '87 300E is starting to go and I'd like to sell the car AS-IS. I am a college student and while I am a devout Mercedes fan, I think I will enjoy one more when I've got a full time dependable job. Right now I need something cheaper to maintain and fuel up. Okay, about the car:

New Stuff:

[:)] New Muffler System from the Cad. Converter back (w/ Midas Warranty)
[:)] New Speakers (Kenwood)
[:)] New Brakes (I mean everything)
[:)] New Suspension
[:)] New Dash Cap
[:)] INTERIOR LIKE NEW, NON-SMOKER CAR
[:)] Tex-Mex Interior, great shape, like new
[:)] New Paint Job, absolutely beautiful car
[:)] Only 172K
[:)] Bridgestone Tires with plenty of meat left
[:)] It has been my baby and I've taken very good care of her

Known Issues:
[:(] Transmission shifts hard into reverse, and now starts to slip into forward gears, doesn't do it all the time, but enough to tell me that it needs rebuilt.
[:(] AC doesn't blow very cold, probably needs more Freon
[:(] The mirror in the driver-side sun visor is cracked (The lady that used to own it was very ugly) ;)
[:(] Driver door doesn't lock w/ key from outside; you can unlock it fine though.
[:(] Driver-side rear door window doesn't work

Car performs great, with the new muffler system I get about 26MPG Highway and 19-21MPG city. Car is located at my college in Greenville, SC. Registered in NC. I've got tons of documentation and the original owners manual.

Thanks for your time and please feel free to email me.

See less See more
#6 ·
Keep it?

Would it be smarter for me to just rebuild the tranny and keep the car? I've had it since October and I've already dumped $2000 is repairs plus whatever the rebuild is going to cost me. Need some advice because it's in really good shape, but everytime something breaks it's a major deal. Thanks.

#7 ·
with the exhaust and suspension already replaced and a new paint job on the car, i can't...

with the exhaust and suspension already replaced and a new paint job on the car, i can't think of too many other major repairs coming your way once you fix the tranny. i guess the A/C could go -- and that could be costly. but it sounds like you've invested a lot in your car, and, honestly, i don't think anyone will pay you $3500 for it with a failing tranny. i've seen '87s go for much less. so i recommend that you try to get the transmission fixed and give your car one more chance. that's just my opinion, of course -- maybe someone more experienced will have a different take.

#8 ·
Thought so...

Well, the AC is out as well. I havn't had it looked at yet (have bigger issues). It blows air, just not cold. I figure I have a leak somewhere.

I guess I might as well fix the tranny and keep it a while longer, but I'm getting tired of fixing it. I thought these were "good" cars. I just bought the thing in October, and after the transmission I'm going to have spent as much in repairs as I did on the car itself. $8500 in 6 months isn't cool, espically for a poor college guy.

Is it just me or are other '87's just falling apart? But hell, my car looks new, it's not like I don't take care of it. [:(]

#9 ·
let's look at things optimistically for a second: have you checked the transmission flui...

let's look at things optimistically for a second: have you checked the transmission fluid level yet? you may just have a leak somewhere and all it needs is a new gasket and/or an occasional top-off. i know the tranny can start behaving strangely if the fluid is low, so you may not need the whole thing rebuilt.....

same thing with the A/C -- maybe it just needs to be recharged; most older A/Cs need a charge every 3-5 years, as i understand it.

good luck.....

#11 ·
THE CAR IS 19 YEARS OLD!!! :(!

(87s were sold in 86 as 87 models)

do you seriously expect it to be problem free like a new car? its nigh on twenty years old.

sounds like you have a B2 problem. do your research. someone on the net posted about how he did his B@ without removing the tranny.

or just get a rebuilt one. either way, youre are not going to find a better car thats 20 years old.

and your price is too high if you are tying to sell it.

lets look at your "known faults"

broken mirror. 1/2 hour of your time, and maybe $30 for parts. you can get parts from a recycler

ac not cold. most likely freon. the car is, say it with me, nearly 20 years old.

window. have you diagnosed this? does it not work with the drivers controls or the door controls or both. it could be just a switch. it could be a lot bigger, but you havent really told us anything.

drivers door doesnt lock, but unlocks, from outside. i bet if you remove the door panel theres somethign thats misaligned of interfering. maybe a linkage slipped out or something, shouldnt be major.

so you really only have a transmission problem. the others are not really problems IMO. small fixes and maintenance.

#12 ·
hey neanderthal ,

totally off topic here. will a tranny from a 88 260e bolt up to a 89 300e engine? i have a 260e parts car and have used many parts off it for the 300e. however i have always wondered if the tranny would work if ever needed. also, i had to replace my drivers window motor a while back. i know this sounds *******, that is what i am, but if i ever had another power window motor failure couldnt i use the motor only from another door? rear door? it would make sense that the motor itself would be the same on all the doors. it is possible that the gearbox would be different, i guess? but the motor should be the same. your thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.