Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

230e w124 intermittent acceleration

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  -mercedes- 
#1 ·
Hi Forum! [:)]

Dunno if anyone can point me in the right direction? Recently bought a 1989 230e, and have noticed that on some days when accelerating reasonably hard (30 - 50mph) the engine sputters. I'm not using kick down, just smooth and progressive depression of the accelerator pedal. Usually occurs a few miles down the road after a cold start. Also noticed a whirring noise somewhere at the back of the car after the car is stationary and idling (fuel pump maybe?). Anyone else had any problems like this? Any ideas?

#2 ·
same problem!

what do u mean by spluttering? Missing? It sounds like a simular problem i had with my car of the same model and year. I changed the spark plugs.While this resolved the problem at hand ive got a new one!! At around 3k rpm the car learches very badly...at higher and lower revs its fine. Ive put meths into the fuel tank to combat water. Maybee thats causing it? Ive also done the dizzy and leads.

help is apprecieated and good luck...

josh

#3 ·
Re: same problem!

What I mean by spluttering is that it sort of misfires as I accelerate. The sparks are new, the distibuter is new, the leads are virtually new and the same problem also occurred for the previous owner...Yet to try the meths thing, so it could be that.

I have a feeling that one of the fuel pumps has perhaps had it and is not delivering enough fuel when the power is layed down? I've read about the overvoltage protection relay and the fuel pump relay and perhaps the problem derives from those. It looks like a case of trial and error until I locate the problem... Anyone else have any ideas for both of us?

#4 ·
Solved intermittent misfire!

If your Merc (230e) intermittently misfires as you accelerate, is rather old (1989), and you have changed the distributer, HT leads, spark plugs, OVP and fuel pump relays, and fuel filter... then the solution is to change the electric fuel pump located next to the filter and fuel regulator, (all under the car at the rear).

The tell-tale signs of a tired old fuel pump is a "very" noisy "buzzing" sound that can be heard inside the car at the rear, (when idling).

It solved my misfire problem and it now drives much more responsively... [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.