Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1987 300D - hard starting and no glow plug light

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Cyberbach 
#1 ·
We are having trouble starting this car which we just purchased. It has 178K miles on it. The glow light does not come on at all. Does this mean the light bulb is burnt out or are the glow plugs bad? Actually the car starts when the temperature is over 45 degrees outside. When it colder than 45 it won't start. Also, even when it does start, the first 5 minutes it runs really rough. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks.

#2 ·
Have your glow plugs checked. Normally when the light doesn't come on that means you hav...

Have your glow plugs checked. Normally when the light doesn't come on that means you have one or more glow plugs out. 178k miles is nothing for this car it was take care of.

Also check the main fuse for your glow system. I would have a mechanic replace it though that knows what he is doing.

Starting this motor with bad glow plugs is very hard on the engine.

I have an 87 300D turbo with 252,000 miles on it. It has been pretty much diesel and oil. I recently had a problem of hard starting and running very rough. I had the glow system checked, it was quite ok, then the compression. It was very good. Turns out my injection pump was bad. I had it replaced with a rebuilt and now it just purrs like a kitten. My mechanic says I have a lot of life left in the car.

Also on the tranny, if it shifts rough, have them check the vacume valves near the headlights. That is the source of my problems. It's only a $60 fix.

If you need any other advice, feel free to email me
jeremy@progear.com I have found some stuff out the hard way and I am more than happy to share it with you.

#3 ·
Glow plugs

Hello, This is my first time doing this so please forgive me if I'm butting in on your conversation with someone else.
Last Nov. I bought a '95 E 300 D. I love it. Three days ago the Glow light started acting up. Light comes on and after about 6 sec's goes off like usual but after it is running the light comes back on for a little while then shuts off for the duration. Today the same and did not come on at all on subsequent starts through the morning.

I do all the light maintianence. Is this something a 'mere mortal' can do?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Dave

#4 ·
Have your glow plug system checked. When you have a bad glow plug or malfucntion the ligh...

Have your glow plug system checked. When you have a bad glow plug or malfucntion the light will come on or not come on.

Personally I have had a glow plug go out and nothing happens with the light on the dash.

I would have it checked, especially if you have a hard time starting.

#5 ·
Have your glow plug system checked. When you have a bad glow plug or malfucntion the ligh...

Have your glow plug system checked. When you have a bad glow plug or malfucntion the light will come on or not come on.

Personally I have had a glow plug go out and nothing happens with the light on the dash.

I would have it checked, especially if you have a hard time starting.

#6 ·
Re: Have your glow plugs checked. Normally when the light doesn't come on that means you hav

JRW, first thanks for taking the time torespond to my question. The glow plugs are new. I think it may be the main fuse you spoke of. Where on the car is it located? I'm not afraid to do some work on the car myself. Is it difficult to change?

Have your glow plugs checked. Normally when the light doesn't come on that means you have one or more glow plugs out. 178k miles is nothing for this car it was take care of.

Also check the main fuse for your glow system. I would have a mechanic replace it though that knows what he is doing.

Starting this motor with bad glow plugs is very hard on the engine.

I have an 87 300D turbo with 252,000 miles on it. It has been pretty much diesel and oil. I recently had a problem of hard starting and running very rough. I had the glow system checked, it was quite ok, then the compression. It was very good. Turns out my injection pump was bad. I had it replaced with a rebuilt and now it just purrs like a kitten. My mechanic says I have a lot of life left in the car.

Also on the tranny, if it shifts rough, have them check the vacume valves near the headlights. That is the source of my problems. It's only a $60 fix.

If you need any other advice, feel free to email me
jeremy@progear.com I have found some stuff out the hard way and I am more than happy to share it with you.

#7 ·
Glow plug light linked to #1 Cylinder

If the glow plug light is not lit, it is one of two areas. You have burnt out several glow plugs (including #1 cyl) or you have a bad 80Amp fuse.

#9 ·
glow light out

The 124.133 is a very predictable car. Because it was only imported in 1987, those of us who own one eventually learn about things that do not work right.
If the glow light does not glow:check the bulb (the bulb is almost always good. To remove use a pair of special tools available from any dealer. The very thin stainless pull rods with hooked ends slide between the edge of the instrument pod and the mbtex covered dash. It's a friction fit allowing you to pull the pod straight out and replace the bulb.) If the bulb is good and the car starts, the fuse is good.At 178k miles replace the glow plugs. P.

#11 ·
Changing glow plugs on the 603 isn't easy! If you are replacing the first two or three only, use a 1/4" socket drive with universal joint and I think 13mm socket. If you plan on replacing them all, prepare to take the intake manifold off as it is nearly impossible to gain access without doing so first!

#12 ·
RE: Glow plugs

dave s - 1/28/2003 2:17 PM

Hello, This is my first time doing this so please forgive me if I'm butting in on your conversation with someone else.
Last Nov. I bought a '95 E 300 D. I love it. Three days ago the Glow light started acting up. Light comes on and after about 6 sec's goes off like usual but after it is running the light comes back on for a little while then shuts off for the duration. Today the same and did not come on at all on subsequent starts through the morning.

I do all the light maintianence. Is this something a 'mere mortal' can do?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Dave
I just bought the same car and have seen similar results, see the thread titled "After Glow"

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1227305&posts=2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.