Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

new guy

2K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  siguy2k 
#1 ·
Just picked up my first mercedes. Ive been in love with this body style for years! Its a 1987 and has 118k and is pretty mint. It does have a few issues. The antenna doesnt go up or down. It does have a aftermarket radio. The rear headrests dont retract. Its got a small coolant leak on passenger side by resovoir. Looks like some sort of valve. And also i believe it is a little low on coolant. At idle heater is not as hot but if revved to 2k it is again. Is there a bleeder and is it imperative to get mb coolant? Other than that its very nice imo. Any help on tips and maint is much appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Make sure that the PO was using the correct coolant, which is Zerex G-05 usually its yellow/gold, 50/50 mixed with distilsed water.

Don't let it run with low coolant, see where's the leak and fix it.

The coolant circle is closed, which you don't need to bleed the coolant, just turn the heater on for a few minutes.

Regarding the white looking, this isn't my cup of tea, W124 never came from factory like that (in case you don't know), I would get a whole set of the oustide door trime and replace them, Ditto on the bumpers, should be black and kinda whitish gray. Don't forget the grill too.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. Its definetely green in resovoir so ill be getting a thermostat and the correct antifreeze and flushing it. The reason i ask is i get a gurgling at about 3k which leads me to believe there are air pockets especially with how heater gets colder at idle. There is what looks to be a bleeder on top of thermostat housing? I was told the previous owner did the kit and rims. I dont think id care for black trim but thanks for letting me know. 1987's didnt have a amg model right?

#4 ·
The heater behavior you describe is classic sign of low coolant level

If you keep losing coolant you may have a pressure problem related to head gasket, so figure out where and when water comes out.

And you should fill out the info about your location and car that appears on left of posts.

#5 ·
Nice! Welcome aboard.

#6 ·
Thats a nice looking car. I'm not a huge fan of body kits but this one is very nice. The coolant leak sounds like the aux water pump on the inner fender by the expansion tank. Can you post a picture of the leaking area? I'm fairly confident that is at fault since you are also having heat issues at idle.

#8 ·
Thats a nice looking car. I'm not a huge fan of body kits but this one is very nice. The coolant leak sounds like the aux water pump on the inner fender by the expansion tank. Can you post a picture of the leaking area? I'm fairly confident that is at fault since you are also having heat issues at idle.

-- Yea after some research last night thats what it is. Can it be bypassed or is there a ohm spec on it?
Great pickup

someone loved that car at some point (in their own special way)

remember, this car is almost 30 years old so there will be problems. but if the major components are in good shape (engine, Transmission, cooling system, electrical) then you made an awesome purchase !

The antenna doesn't go up or down - check the fuses first

It does have a aftermarket radio- I wonder if they wired the antenna into the aftermarket stereo

-- i will have to check into it more. Ive noticed when they installed it they didnt bypass the fader knob in center console.

The rear headrests don't retract- check your fuses first , otherwise, it could be the switch

-- will do.

Its got a small coolant leak on passenger side by reservoir. Looks like some sort of valve- is it leaking or is it from expansion (as someone previously posted)

And also i believe it is a little low on coolant fill it up but don't overfill, otherwise it will be released and you will think its leaking.

At idle heater is not as hot but if revved to 2k it is again- I wonder if the heater core is working as it should ?

-- i think its just air bubbles as i get a gurgling at about 3k rpm.

Here is a good link from a sister site concerning the car

Mercedes Benz Model 124 - M103 Maintenance Manuals
Thanks for the link. And thanks for the help guys!

#7 ·
great pickup

someone loved that car at some point (in their own special way)

remember, this car is almost 30 years old so there will be problems. but if the major components are in good shape (engine, Transmission, cooling system, electrical) then you made an awesome purchase !

The antenna doesn't go up or down - check the fuses first

It does have a aftermarket radio- I wonder if they wired the antenna into the aftermarket stereo

The rear headrests don't retract- check your fuses first , otherwise, it could be the switch

Its got a small coolant leak on passenger side by reservoir. Looks like some sort of valve- is it leaking or is it from expansion (as someone previously posted)

And also i believe it is a little low on coolant fill it up but don't overfill, otherwise it will be released and you will think its leaking.

At idle heater is not as hot but if revved to 2k it is again- I wonder if the heater core is working as it should ?

Here is a good link from a sister site concerning the car

Mercedes Benz Model 124 - M103 Maintenance Manuals

#9 ·
Oh also forgot a couple things that i havent been able to find answers for.

The oil pressure gauge is maxed at 3 and never moves which ive read should be a open on that circuit to cause that?

And the car never really heats up. Its never been much over 60 on temp gauge?

Drivers window has power but wont go down? It moves a hair and i tried forcing it and its just really tight? Do these regulators lock up?

#10 ·
Pegged oil pressure gauge is generally the op sending unit (look down behind/below the oil filter). Check that there is a thermostat in the car. Better still, replace it with a genuine MB unit as well as a new OE cap. Your rear head rest will only release while the car is running. If they don't drop, give them a nudge while a helper hits the dash button.

Generally, window regulators don't "lock" up. You'll need to pull the door panel to inspect/change.

Welcome and good luck with the car. It has many period correct modifications. You'll help yourself greatly by completing your profile.

#11 ·
The oil pressure gauge is maxed at 3 and never moves which ive read should be a open on that circuit to cause that? - there is an oil pressure sending unit in the oil pan, it goes bad over time
Mercedes® Meyle Engine Oil Pressure Sender Switch, Sensor, 1981-1999 | 006-542-94-17

And the car never really heats up. Its never been much over 60 on temp gauge?- that sounds like the thermostat is not installed. some people like to run the car without a thermostat because they think the car will run cooler. check to see if you have a thermostat installed
Mercedes® Engine Coolant Thermostat, 1960-1999 | 110-200-05-15

Drivers window has power but wont go down? It moves a hair and i tried forcing it and its just really tight? Do these regulators lock up?- yes they do ! or it could be off track.
Mercedes® Oem Window Regulator,front Left,without Motor, 124 Chassis, 1986-1995 | 124-720-03-46

#14 · (Edited)
As said before, complete your profile, why ? because when ordering parts we need to know your location so we give you the right/nearest store for you.

Here's the link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

fill in your location, vehicles , etc ....

If you in the US, then likely, AutohausAZ has the best prices.
don't get URO or Meyle chinese crap out of the box.

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
The sending unit on the oil pan is for oil level, not oil pressure, and they are prone to failure. The pegged oil pressure is likely the pressure sending unit at the oil filter. The oil level sending unit illuminates the low oil light below the combination gauge. A failed oil level sending unit usually causes the light to illuminate even when the oil level is full.

#18 ·
Ok good to know. Thank you.

I use their site for the diagrams.
the diagrams are a valuable resources.
I have purchased parts from them in the past with no issues.
Thats good to know they have been added to favorites!

Follow this guidance when getting parts, particularly "The "NEVER BUY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" brand list includes:" section.

500E / E500 Parts Manufacturer Quality List

SERIOUSLY

Bookmarked!

As said before, complete your profile, why ? because when ordering parts we need to know your location so we give you the right/nearest store for you.

Here's the link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

fill in your location, vehicles , etc ....

If you in the US, then likely, AutohausAZ has the best prices.
don't get URO or Meyle chinese crap out of the box.

Done.

#23 ·
if someone has installed aftermarket suspension upgrades, you won't really know without inspecting the shocks, and measuring the spring wire thickness and comparing with stock. a genuine mercedes sportline is as speed says, also can find the SA code on your datacard or via EPC from your VIN.

#24 ·
Good to know. I got a bunch of stuff ordered to do tune up and fix a air cleaner mount and breather. Also will be replacing sway bar bushings as theyre half gone on drivers side front and that tire rubbed a few times on the interstate yesterday so hopefully those fix that. And the oil cap is leaking after a 50 mile interstate drive so i ordered a gasket. Will pull back seat and do test on headrests this weekend as well. Car drove great otherwise! Feels very solid and no rattles or creaks inside!

#26 ·
Ok ill have to check them. It only rubbed a handful of times and i looked and the rear half of the bushings are gone at frame and control arm. Do they make poly ones or do guys just go with oem? I couldnt locate any poly control arm bushings for them.

#28 ·
Well finally had a chance to check the bushings. I get top and bottom play in lf wheel when jacked up with quite a bit of force. I couldnt tell what was moving. I didn't have a helper. Wheel rolls smooth. Control arm bushing has some dry rot. Fr has just a tiny tiny bit of play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.