Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W124 Throttle Body Issues

13K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  NGough 
#1 ·
Re: our 1993 300E 2.8 with 203k on it.

I've had an issue with stumbling whilst driving and having a surging idle. After having codes (006) thrown which indicates a Throttle Body issue, I sent it to BBA Reman in Mass. They rebuilt it and sent it back, it was installed and all was okay for awhile. Then, in Dec., it began again. The shop checked a lot of items but since it wasn't throwing any Check Engine codes, we were not able to come up with anything but a faulty EGR valve. So, we disconnected it and plugged it up on the line to the intake manifold side. It ran fine, never had a surging idle and never stumbled when driving. All was okay until late January after returning home from a trip overseas when it began the same symptoms all over again. So, I reconnected the EGR and it ran just fine with zero issues for a couple of days, then it began once again to show the same issues. Then, it threw the same Check Engine code of 006, which indicates a Throttle Body issue. So, I had it packaged up and sent back to BBA. They called yesterday to tell me it checked out okay on their bench tests. So, it's on its way back for it to be reinstalled.

The wiring harness has been replaced. It runs strong with no problems, most of the time. It has an original CAT and has newer coils.

So, BBA mentioned that the '006' code could mean more than just the TB as M-B has other problems associated with that code. Huh? Is this true?

Anyone experience a similar issue and discovered a solution? I'm not sure where to go on this one since the dealer no longer has W124 diagnostic computers anymore. I've tried to contact a shop whose owner used to work at the dealer as a certified mechanic and has the computer, but no one answers. My mechanic has lots of experience with W124s and Benzes and is puzzled as they've not seen this before.

Comments? Any more info needed?

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you replace the throttle body gasket with a brand new one when you swapped units?

BTW, a faulty EGR on a W124 is a extremely rare occurence. When you pulled codes, did you get a code 5?

If so, then the EGR tube from the EGR valve to the intake manifold is clogged or restricted.

#5 ·
After some research, it could be the idle speed control valve or a vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

I will check with the mechanic and then have them first clean the idle speed control valve and see if it was dirty enough to cause the issue.

From my investigation, it appears vacuum issues could be the culprit here. Those are sometimes very difficult to eventually solve.

I've located the Fault Code Scanner PDF from a Google search. See attached file.

The fault code '006' or '6' seems to really indicate the idle speed control being faulty.

I will post as I learn more.

Plus, it seems that others (even in other forums) have had similar issues, all with (seemingly) different solutions. My apologies if this thread is a repeat.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have used Carb Cleaner to check for vacuum leaks - would this be a possible way to check with the ISC? I know it is kind of hard to get the tub under the ISC close enough to the mating surface, just a thought though. If it is a possibility, the idle would raise up and it could help pinpoint the issue.

Have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine to see what it's pulling at idle and at operating temperature?

I am guessing you got the 006 code from the DM pin 3 or push button and counted blinks? Have you tried pins 8 and 14 as well with a LED tester?

All the more threads on the HFM-SFI engines as possible - for me they are a bit finicky to work and diagnose when they are using a fuel injection system that seems to suit OBDII better - just my .02 :)

#9 ·
latest info

Hokay,

I had the TB (which had been rebuilt by BBA Reman) sent back to BBA. They ran tests on it and found zero, nothing wrong. So, they sent it back, the shop re-installed it, tested it, reset or "taught" the ECU (???) and gave it back to me. I let it idle until warm and then drove it home. On the way, at a stop, it began once again. The shop tested for vacuum leaks and found nothing.

I've tried a shop which allegedly has an analyzer from MB, but they have not answered their phone and not returned my calls.

So, I contacted a place in Cincinnati and spoke to them about the issue. After telling them what's been done to the car, and the problem, including the 006 check engine code, they mentioned another problem could be setting off the 006 code and not being recorded.

Hmm... I am at a loss for words, here. I will likely take it down to the shop in Cincy (it comes highly recommended) in the next few weeks and only drive the car sparingly (too much going on). I keep popping the hood and going through the connections and see nothing visibly wrong, but I keep hoping that something pops into my mind when tracing the vacuum lines, wiring, etc.

It runs fine when cold and runs okay most of the time. When it gets warm, it will surge at idle and every so often surge under just keeping the throttle steady at one speed. That seems to me to be a TB issue. However, could it also be tied to the engine temp sensor (engine temp is always fine)? EGR system? Electrical Over Voltage component? When accelerating, it runs very strong with the great DOHC engine noise as pleasant as ever, so the plugs and other ignition components should be okay.

Finally, has anyone ever heard of resetting the ECU after a TB has been removed and re-installed?

#10 ·
It runs fine when cold and runs okay most of the time. When it gets warm, it will surge at idle and every so often surge under just keeping the throttle steady at one speed.
I'm not too familiar with m104 engines but running fine when cold could also be a CPS or a O2 sensor problem. Sometimes a bad o2 doesn't throw off the CE light.

I wonder if you can test the o2 sensor voltage like the older CIS cars?

#11 ·
same O2 sensor technology, should behave the same, swing between near 0V and near 1V a few times a second. I typically see 'low' as 0.1-0.3V and 'high' as 0.7-0.9V. at idle, they swing slower, at higher RPMs, they swing faster.

re: resetting the ECU, they likely just did that to be sure it was properly calibrated.

#13 ·
Use Bosch O2 sensors. Amazon has the best price. Remember, these O2 sensors are good for about 60K miles and are as done as Thanksgiving turkey after 100K.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13314-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitment/dp/B000BZI1J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426078904&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+13314"]Amazon.com: Bosch 13314 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y8E0GBQ9L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Y8E0GBQ9L[/ame]

#14 ·
A quick way to find if it's the O2 sensor, is to disconnect it. I will do that either later today or tomorrow. My buddy at the shop mentioned it is possible, but not likely, as it would have to be a short in the wiring. We shall see and I shall post results of my tests. At least the Bosch O2 sensor from Amazon is around $70. (As an aside, I've had the O2 sensor replaced twice in the 100k miles I've owned the car, since 2002.)

#15 ·
Good luck finding the problem.

It sounds as though anything you mess with fixes the problem for a couple of days. It is possible you have a lose electrical connection and when you change something you simultaneously knock the lose connection around. For example, if you disconnect the battery negative to work on the car, you could be hitting a connector in the area and changing something.

I had the following whacky problem with a CPS. The car would run great for long periods of time. Then out of the blue, it would die. Then I would crank and after a while it would start. Might run 10 days or a month or 10 miles. One day it stopped restarting. I called a wrecker, but they were real busy and after a while the car started. I drove it about 20 miles and it died. It would restart, but I thought the situation was dangerous because it was getting dark and the road was high speed. I called a tow truck and we had a great ride home in the tow truck and enjoyed chatting with the driver.

So then I decided no more driving the car until I fixed it. I started at the most probable cause for a problem of this sort, the CPS. The instant I had the CPS out, I knew the problem. The wiring to the CPS on this vehicle looks like lamp chord (two 18 ga stranded wires). One of the leads on the CPS was cut because a cable had been incorrectly routed. Trying to start would cause the cut part to bounce and reconnect. When it bounced enough after that it would disconnect.

I have experienced a number of other very strange problems from things that have very simple solutions. My favorite so far was on my '93 300E. Started great one time on carb cleaner, then not at all. Had spark on exactly one coil. Problem? No bolt holding the CPS down.

Intermittent relays can also cause weird problems.

#16 ·
my 300E had an intermittent stumble coming off idle, it drove OK once you were moving... I chased things for 2 years, thought for sure it was an electrical problem due to its intermittent nature. I diagnosed various marginal things and R&R'd them, but the problem would come back in a few days to weeks. FINALLY broke down and took it to a highly recommended independent mercedes service shop, and they diagnosed it in an hour as being air leaks around the injectors, so I had them replace the seals, and told them to go ahead and test the injectors while they were out (they have an injector tester in house), and yup, several had bad spray patterns and/or were dribbling. so 6 new injectors with new seals, and the car is running like a brand new engine (which at around 60000 miles, it SHOULD be!)

now, this was a CIS M103, and I'm *not* saying this is your problem, what I'm trying to say is, it takes some skilled diagnoses and testing to find root problems. before the injectors, I'd fixed the air flow meter potentiometer, new OVP, new plugs+wires (rotor+cap were already new), new o2 sensor, the HVA started leaking, so that was replaced, and in general, done a ton of testing.

#17 ·
I've been fooling around with this stumbling/erratic idle and stumbling whilst driving issue for awhile now and trying to tick off the items as we (including the shop) see them.

This afternoon, I removed the "resonance flap" (P/N VDO 0001400331) and in checking out what it should look like, mine is different. There is no large "flap" underneath, but once it's removed I see a diaphragm and a short rubber hose coming out of the top that is NOT connected to anything else. I've taken a photo of it in this post. Is this supposed to be open to the ambient air? I noticed that on the bottom of this device, once removed, there is a small inlet with a screen which is not connected to anything else once the entire device is re-installed. And, of course, the C/E light is on.

I've checked out all vacuum lines, even those from the EGR diaphragm on the exhaust side. All look fine with no tears or holes or deteriorated rubber. There is a small blue-white check valve (?) underneath the intake manifold. Could this be clogged?

So, there you have it. If someone doesn't let me know about this "resonance flap" device, I will be taking it into a shop which does a lot of W124s with the owner being a certified Benz mechanic. He's incredibly busy and is way out in the countryside, so it's tough to get there when the other car (a 98 Volvo S70) also has issues (vibrating dash and I will not pay an arm and a leg for that one to be tightened up after it's removed and re-fitted as I can just see the $$$ on the number of hours it will take).

Attachments

#19 ·
NGough

With the miles indicated on the car, I would assume there's a number of items that have been replaced. However, I have to ask about the upper/lower harnesses and throttle actuator.. Replaced? Correct Bosch F8DC4's ? Coils? How about the OVP relay? Voltage at the battery with the car running 13.4v+? Changed all the fuses to ceramic copper?

If we know about the history of these things, it will be much easier for us to offer well founded solutions.

Let us know and good luck

Jayare

#20 ·
This may not be of help to you, but who knows?

One of the odd-ball things that I found on my 1993 W124/M104 that I rescued from the grave was that the pressure regulator had no O-ring on it at all. I cannot imagine how the O-ring went missing, but it was certainly gone. I have no idea what symptoms this would produce because I caught the problem before actually trying to start the car, but I would think a defective O-ring in the pressure regulator could cause erratic fuel pressure and may result in your symptoms. As I recall, this is very easy to check. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fitting, take a look. Then yank out the regulator and have a look.

#21 · (Edited)
That top picture - my hose is connected.

There is a nipple on the top piece.

I do have one "open" line but I think that is to allow the diaphragm to bleed vacuum to close the flap which is in the intake.

I think the resonance valve gets its vacuum straight from the intake. In this picture it is near the red arrow, seals into the whole on the top of the flap. Maybe the "screen" you're referring to. (Keep in mind that the valve is flipped 180 in the pic)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ance_Valve_Replacement/images_small/pic10.jpg

Then it redirects the vacuum to the diaphragm that opens and closes the flap, which yours looks disconnected.

I believe mine had one more like that wasn't connected to anything and I think that is to allow the diaphragm to release vacuum or for it to go somewhere.

It's really hard to get fingers in there to put that tube back on, just need to take off the top crossover pipe.

#22 ·
Great responses, gang. It is appreciated.

Volvo745:
The p/n for the resonance valve is 0001400331, but also seems to be 0001400431. Searches show a lot of German and Aussie parts and these all have the "flaps" on them, which is not on mine (not sure how the flap would fit with the diaphragm underneath). There seems to be a slight improvement when I put my finger over the ope hose while the car is idling warm and surging. That is tough to tell, as the car can change to a smooth idle and no surge in a second or less.

Jayare
The harness was replaced and I believe I can see newer wiring wraps on the lower section.
I'm not sure about the throttle actuator.
I run Bosch plugs and they are the ones with the quad tip.
The coils were replaced and some wiring as well, about 50k miles back.
Where is the OVP? I believe it is original.
I will check the battery voltage, but it's a new battery, about a year old.
And, some fuses are ceramic-copper, while the rest are ceramic-aluminum.

JNdaigle:
I am not sure about the fuel pump. It was replaced when I bought the car and had been serviced before by a dealer in LA where the car was originally purchased and lived for its first 101k miles.

I've put a lot in the car in maint. since 2002 when we purchased it, and I would like to keep it awhile longer. The engine is great, the tranny shifts very well, it's had new seals on the rear swing axles/CV joints or new joints, and the new harness. Other items are mostly normal maint. I use Mobil 1 and the tranny has regular fluid changes. The A/C system is quite touchy on these cars and I only use the heat setting in the Winter and not leave it on the center setting like some folks. It still handles like new on original springs (but newer Bils all around). When it runs, it has lots of power and the DOHC engine sound is quite nice. Still has the original CAT and exhaust system. We love the MB-tex and will never get leather again. It's color is blue-black with the lighter grey trim panels and grey MB-tex.

#25 ·
Fuel pressure regulator

Just to make sure, I'm not talking about the fuel pump area. I am talking about the fuel pressure regulator, which is on the front end of the fuel rail, just to the left of the front of the valve cover.

Great responses, gang. It is appreciated.
JNdaigle:
I am not sure about the fuel pump. It was replaced when I bought the car and had been serviced before by a dealer in LA where the car was originally purchased and lived for its first 101k miles.

#24 ·
Quad tip plugs are incorrect. To meet MB spec, you need Bosch F8DC4's, as fitted when new. The OVP relay is located behind the plastic shield, behind the battery. Replace it without question, using a MB or KAEhler unit - nothing else. Regardless of the battery health, check the running voltage.

Good luck

#28 ·
Gotcha. I will replace with the proper plugs.

As for the Resonance flap device, I discovered the nipple and will re-attach. Not sure if that will cure it, as it could have been me who missed it after I re-installed it. :-(

As for the EFI, (the car is a CA car since it was originally sold in LA) it is the Bosch HFM, as are all M104 engines, I believe.

I dropped by the shop out in the countryside and had the guy take a look-see. He made some guesses, but mentioned that he can throw it on his analyzer and get to the issue. I will do so in a week or so, as he has a few jobs to get out ASAP in the next week. He took a short break to look at the car, which was very cool of him.

I might just buy an OVP and maybe the blue-white diaphragm and replace those, in an attempt to make this one go away. I will also change out the plugs and check the coil wiring and check the battery voltage. Those are relatively inexpensive items and since the OVP is original, it likely needs replacing anyways. It's also time to change the oil and filter.

I also feel that since the CAT is original, it needs replacing, so I will see about having him replace it. I believe they're welded in, if I'm not mistaken. I've been smelling it lately, but it could also be due to the air-fuel mixture being weird due to the surging.

#30 ·
FWIW There was a 3.0 M104 that used the CIS-E injection (K-Jetronic).

That is the infamous 104.980, although in reality it should be thought of as a M103 with a M104 twin head.

Low rpm torque is fairly poor until you build the rpms and let it rev.

The biggest downside to the 104.980 is the EZL ignition module which can cost as much as the value of the car when (not if) it needs to be replaced.

#33 ·
Hokay,

Here is the latest in this saga.

I've spent the last 2-3 months in going thru a lot of niggling items (OVP, checking all vacuum lines, resonance valve, "new" idle speed control, thermostat, new plugs, tightened the crank sensor fittings and a few other small, mostly untreated items such as oil pressure sender, new gauge cluster to now have working fuel and oil pressure gauges).

Last Friday, it threw another code whilst running errands. It was the MAF code. So, even though the MAF is new(er) from last Fall, it was not a Bosch or OEM Benz, as I found it on eBay. I dropped by a local shop, had them double-check the code for me and then we talked about what could be happening.

I also noticed last week, after removing the #1 & #2 plugs, that these new Bosch twin-tip titanium plugs were black, but not fouled. They weren't loose this time, which is a hopeful sign that the threads are okay and could have been due to someone (not me) just not tightening these puppies, or that they loosened up due to the vibrations of a rough engine.

I've also smelled unburnt fuel in the exhaust (running rich) last week.

So, after discussing the MAF with the mechanic, I discovered that sometimes the computer will not throw a code if the faulty piece or sensor is not acting up enough or long enough. Seems the computer will try to check the other components if the signal from the sensor in the faulty part is not consistent. Apparently, that is an issue with MAF/AMM units in most, if not all, cars. Newer cars may have better, more sophisticated computer sensor systems, so they will throw a code as soon as an issue occurs. If it goes away, the computer may erase the internal code and start over or display the "check engine" light. Also, the MAF will not engage until the engine is warmed up to a specific temp, so that explains why it runs great when cold. When it gets hot and the computer sees the problem not going away, it tries to go into "limp home" mode, which it did for me on Friday. I revved the engine and while it still seemed as if it was misfiring and running on a few cylinders, it finally was able to be drivable for me to make it home and park it. Those are all MAF issues.

Now, since I had the new MAF in it, from last October, last week, I put in the old, original one, and it barely ran. So, I figured at the time that it was not the new(er) MAF. However, then, after the lengthy morning on Friday of running errands, it threw the code.

Apparently, lots of people buy the cheaper MAF units and sometimes get lucky and sometimes not. I fall into the latter group, I guess. They have a Bosch OEM unit on the way from their supplier and it will be installed this afternoon. The part retails for over $400 and they are getting it for me for around $250 + installation. It will be just over $300 including tax. While I can get one myself and install it (it's easy), I am letting the shop do it for one simple reason: if it goes bad or is not the issue, then they will have to fix it.

So, I will keep y'all informed as to the results in the coming days. It should not take long for any problem to arise after the new MAF is in-place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.