Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Pump? Fuel Pump Relay?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Xmsteel 
#1 ·
Drove home, parked the car. Had to make a trip, so I started it, put it in reverse, and as soon as I got down the driveway it just died. Turned over like crazy but would not restart.

Took off the air filter cover, sprayed some carb cleaner in the system, and it started. Now it starts and drives fine again.

Would this be a fuel pump symptom or a pump relay or....?

#2 ·
Carb cleaner or starting fluid?

A defective pump relay usually will hold as it should allowing you to run for a while and then the solenoid will drop causing the engine to die. But restarting will get the relay going again until it gets weak and fails one more time. I don't think this is a relay issue unless you have poor connections. Pull the relay, inspect and clean as necessary and see what happens. I wouldn't go near pumps unless you have more definitive symptoms. Of course it wouldn't hurt to go over the pump terminals too to make sure they are clean and making good contact.

#6 ·
I suggest "watchful waiting".

From the information you have provided, I wouldn't jump into any expensive repairs like fuel pump(s) replacement before I knew more.

Is the car your sole ride that your job depends on?

More often than not, these problems come to a head sooner rather than later.

I see we are both in the PNW. Which means the weather has now turned crappy, cool, and damp. Maybe that is a factor.

You may have more data to add by the time you read this.

#7 ·
It was my main/only transportation as I have winterized my motorcycle. Though my work place is only a 16 mile round trip, its still not beneficial or desired to go off hopes that it won't die or not start on my way.

I've decided to trade it with a friend for a vehicle I'm more familiar with and could depend on a little more.

I loved the 300TE, honestly. Interior was fantastic as was the whole experience. I don't really regret getting it.

I could see spending $4k just to get it up to par with the vehicle I traded it for. Goes to show that saying is right: "There nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes."

I do appreciate everyone's help with all my topics and issues. I hope the next owner fixes it up, I'd love to see it driving around without its current issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.